There aren't that many true icons left, and this week we lost another.
Dolly might not mean the same to other people in my generation as she did to me... but they probably didn't grow up listening to Terry Wogan.
In my head, every one of those was a Top Ten hit, yet in reality only the first two troubled the UK charts (9 To 5 got to #47... can you believe that?). Despite that, Dolly is one of the few artists I've come across to have a separate discography page for Albums and Singles on iffypedia... so I doubt she worried much about her British record sales.
Dolly defined country music glamour.
Dolly had her own bridge and theme park.
Dolly single-handedly cured Covid. (Well, she did a hell of a lot more than most politicians.)
Like Tina Turner before her, I thought Dolly would go on forever.
I can't believe she's gone - and she was only 80.
Here are some songs for Dolly...
And a few choice lyrical mentions...
Johnny Cash in black, over on a countryside
Dolly Parton, ha, Loretta Lynn
Don't forget Charley Pride
I'm stuck in Spokane in a motel room
Lord, I wish I had a Dolly Parton tape
Ladies, ladies
In my kitchen baking cake is Betty Crocker
Ladies, ladies
Dolly Parton's in my pool
And Aunt Jemima's acting cool
Dolly Parton was queen
Billy Joel the boss
We were uptown, downtown, little bit of Motown
With Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross
Dolly Parton and Lord Byron
They said patriotism is the last refuge
But now its me
Larry Hagman, Sally Field
And Dolly Parton, me oh my
It's all yours at
Samson and Delilah's beauty shop
We've been gone for way too long
Can't count all the roads we've been down
Try to keep it between the ditches
Till the Dolly Parton bridge is in the front window
There's a lot more where they came from, but I'm still on holiday.
Finally then, here's Dolly at her very best...

No comments:
Post a Comment