Cheers is probably my all time favourite sitcom, and the annoying, know-it-all postman Cliff Clavin, played by John Ratzenberger, is one of my favourite characters.
If you ever watched Cheers, you may remember that Cliff had a recurring on-again, off-again romance with a fellow postal worker, Margaret "Maggie" O'Keefe. Well, I just discovered that the actress who played Maggie was actually Annie Golden, lead singer of New York new wave band The Shirts.
(That's a great album cover.)
Here's Annie / Maggie a few years before she met Cliff...

.jpg)
She was a lot chirpier before she started hanging out with Cliff, but I can understand that.
ReplyDeleteI loved Cheers. Saw it first time around and a couple of mammoth rewatches since (every episode, all 275 of them) on DVD. Followed by Frasier (ditto revisiting every one on DVD) and the rebooted Frasier from a couple of years ago.
ReplyDeleteInterestingly, Frasier wasn’t the first, or even the second, Cheers spin-off. Though I guess you already knew that.
JM
Was there one about Carla's family / ex? I could google it, but I can't think of any others.
DeleteYes, the (short-lived) Tortellis, and Wings; Norm and Cliff cameo in Wings.
DeleteAh yes, I read about Wings... don't think it was ever shown in the UK though?
DeleteExcellent piece of trivia right there. Right up there with Ellen Foley from Night Court being with Mick Jones and singing on Hitsville UK. - Brian
ReplyDeleteIs that the same Ellen Foley who sang with Meat Loaf?
DeleteThat’s the one. Ellen is a friend of Todd Rundgren’s. I’m sure that was her Meatloaf connection. I saw her in a Utopia music video around her Night Court days. She had solo albums of her own. Someone to have dinner with for sure. - Brian
DeleteGreat bit of trivia. I remember at least two boys we knew leaving the pub for half and hour to go home and watch Cheers then return.
ReplyDeleteThink Frasier must be one of the few spin-offs to be as good as the show it came from (in my opinion anyway).