Tuesday 21 August 2018

Hot 100 #70



This week's image is taken from "New York's leading 70s DANCE/DISCO/FUNK group performing to packed dance floors every week". Only a wedding band then, but from watching their corporate video, they seem pretty slick... and very appropriate for this week's edition of the Hot 100 Countdown as virtually all the songs I had - or that you suggested - were about 70s. In fact, the only ones that didn't were these from Jim in Dubai...

Simple Minds - 70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall

Yeah... nice try, Jim, but you've still not convinced me on Simple Minds.

A much more likely choice was this...

City Boy - 5705

...which is a great tune... but one I'll have to save for when I do the Hot 10,000 Countdown, I'm afraid.

The only other song I could think of that wasn't related to a year (or years) was this...

Brand New - Seventy Times Seven

...but despite being pretty good, it was disqualified on two fronts: firstly, it's really a song about 490; secondly, the lead singer disgraced himself recently. You can read about that elsewhere if you want to, but I have a friend whose favourite band was Brand New... and when all that came out, he took his albums down the charity shop.

The rest of this week's entries fall into two camps then - songs about the year 1970... and songs about the 70s decade. Let's start with the year... and get our token Mott The Hoople mention out of the way first thing...

In Seventy we all agreed
A King's Road flat was the place to be
'Cause Chelsea girls are the best in the world for company


Only one more week of that to go.

Rigid Digit also offered the obvious choice...

Iggy & The Stooges - 1970

...and I Feel Alright with that suggestion.

Others I had in mind...

Robin Hitchcock - 1970 In Aspic (if The Swede wasn't working so hard at the moment, I'm sure he'd have suggested this.)

Bastard Sons Of Johnny Cash - 1970 Monte Carlo

Ringo Starr - Early 1970... which, if you've never heard it, is definitely worth a listen as it tells you just how Ringo felt about the Beatles breaking up... and it's really quite touching.

Onto the 70s decade then...

Martin set the ball rolling with this... which was quickly seconded by Lynchie…

Mike Watt - Against The 70s

Never heard that before - and hence it's not in my record collection (yet) and can't win... but I like the sound of it.

The kids of today should defend themselves against the 70’s
It’s not reality, just someone else’s sentimentality
It won’t work for you
Baby boomers, selling you rumors of their history
Forcing youth away from the truth of what’s real today


Maybe so, Mike, but from where I sit, the 70s look like a pretty peachy place to be right now.

Other notable 70s tunes...

Something Happens - A 70s Wedding

Aberfeldy - 1970s

Cheap Trick - In The Street (That 70s Song)

Luke Haines - NY In The 70s (more from him later in the week)

Hall & Oates - 70s Scenario (from War Babies, the most mental Hall & Oates album, the one that Todd Rundgren produced)

This week's winner though was identified by Rigid Digit. One of my favourites from Mr. Harcourt... which I appreciate as a child of the 70s myself... although I'm a little older than Ed.

I was born the year punk broke
Days before the king was dead
It was the year of the snake
I was a red-faced child
Who stumbled where he tread
Was kept in orderly file
My parents name me Ed
I tried my hardest to smile




Can't we just skip 69 and go straight on to 68? No? Oh well, I guess I'll see you next week then for the inevitable... your suggestions are welcome regardless.

8 comments:

  1. As you noted Rol, I've been somewhat otherwise engaged of late, otherwise I would surely have suggested 'George Jackson' by Bob Dylan for this week's slot, containing as it does the verse '...sent him off to prison for a seventy-dollar robbery, closed the door behind him and they threw away the key...'
    Regarding next week, I'll offer '69 Année Erotique' by Serge Gainsbourge & Jane Birkin (also later covered by Luscious Jackson), a song guaranteed to get us all a little hot under the collar.
    While we're in a raunchy mood, you could also consider 'Go West' by Liz Phair, which finds her '...stepping down off my platform shoes, sixty-nine in the afternoon...'
    I'm off for a cold shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vines - 1969 - and there's that Bryan Adams one that I don't like to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to mention The Incredible String Band - "Way Back In The 1960's" which could apply to 1960 through to 1969. A fab song with great lyrics...

    The 2nd verse... "There was one fellow singing in those days,
    And he was quite good, and I mean to say that
    His name was Bob Dylan, and I used to do gigs too
    Before I made my first million.
    That was way, way back before,
    Before wild World War Three,
    When England went missing,
    And we moved to Paraguayeeeeeeeee......"

    And it was released in 1967! Lotta bases covered there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi Thom - a local(ish) lass with I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)

    "Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
    In '77 and '69 revolution was in the air"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last hurrah for Mott The Hoople
    "69 was cheapo wine"

    Stiff Little Fingers - 78 RPM
    "In 69 it was fine"

    The Stooges - 1969

    and I feel I should mention the obvious:
    Mr B Adams and his reminisces of buying his first real 6 string

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Stooges was the one I thought of straight away and now can't get out of my head.
    Or how about REM - Star 69?
    Also Sonic Youth - Death Valley '69.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stooges- 1969 as mentioned above.
    Sonic Youth Death Valley 69- as mentioned above
    REM- Sta 69- as mentioned above
    David Holmes- 69 Police- as ment.. oh wait, got one!

    Also the Mike Watt song is ace, as most Mike Watt songs are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...