Friday 1 February 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #17: Feltham



To Hounslow, West London this week and the town of Feltham, which was apparently mentioned in the Domesday book, but not as the place where Freddie Mercury grew up. Bryan May also lived there for a time, as did Jimmy Page and Vic Brigg, guitarist in The Animals... so I'm guessing a few windows were rattled back in the day.

Hard-Fi, on the other hand, came from Staines, in Surrey. But they obviously knew someone who ended up in Feltham Young Offender's Institute...

Every day I, I,I see your face
As I walk on by past that awful place
23 hours in a cell

Each and every day just locked up living hell

I really liked the first Hard-Fi album when it came out. I even went along to a Friday night gig to catch the band in Manchester while they were being lauded as the next big thing. Unfortunately, when we got there, there were loads of other bands on first and it turned out Hard-Fi weren't coming on till well after midnight.

We went home. Bed sometimes trumps rock 'n' roll.



2 comments:

  1. Of course, Freddie and the Heathrow connection.

    You were so "roll 'n' roll"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard-Fi. So good they recorded their debut album twice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...