Wednesday 20 February 2019

My Top Ten Songs Everybody Knows


Ten songs everybody knows. You might not know them all.

Everybody knows that Sonia is not in this list...


10. The Dixie Chicks - Everybody Knows

New Dixie Chicks album out soon. I hope they stick it to Trump the same way they stuck it to Bush.

9. Echo & The Bunnymen - Everybody Knows

Late period Bunnymen, but still worth a listen.

8. The Pearlfishers - Everybody Knows It's A Dream

Like Prefab Sprout? You'll like the Pearlfishers too. Everybody should know this.

7. Janis Ian - Everybody Knows

Everybody knows loneliness sucks.

6. Mighty Mighty - Everybody Knows The Monkey

 A Smithsy jangle from C86.

5. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Timeless Neil.

4. James - Everybody Knows

From back when James could do no wrong.

3. Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows

One of those songs that could be applied to many, many situations over the years. Let's apply it to Brexit today, shall we?

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died
Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long-stem rose
Everybody knows

2. The Divine Comedy - Everybody Knows

Neil Hannon is so smitten that he's boring everybody to death with his lustful obsession. Brilliant.

I told all of my friends
Again and again and again
I drove them round the bend
So now you’re my only friend
I told the passers by
I made a small boy cry
And I’ll get through to you
If it’s the last thing that I do

1. Gary Portnoy - Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Cheers was my favourite sitcom growing up. Its theme song, written by Gary Portnoy & Judy Hart Angelo still brings back warm memories from its first piano notes. Certain sitcoms succeed by fostering a mythical community everyone wants to be a part of: reminiscent yet far superior to our real life friendships. Cheers, for me, is the ultimate example of that and even its theme song contributes to the myth.



Everybody knows I missed some out. Which would you have included?

9 comments:

  1. Must add a shout for The Wedding Present's cover of your #1 - https://youtu.be/n6EzFkcLWuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wildhearts version is worth a listen too.

      Delete
  2. A fine list Rol, but Leonard should've been No.1. Actually no, strike that. Leonard at No.2. Top of the heap should be 'Everybody Knows That' by The Humblebums. I've long struggled to make it through the song without at least tearing up a little, but the older I get (plus the knowledge that Billy is in such poor health) I'm often reduced to a blubbering mess when I play it these days.
    'But does everybody know, the way that things are gonna go for them tomorrow? What will they do if they turn round, and find that they have no time left to borrow?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonard takes it on artistic merit, but the other two mean more to me on a personal level. Just be glad I spared you the lovelorn story of why TDC meant so much to me at the time.

      Delete
  3. You should know that Channel 4 is starting a rerun of Cheers starting next week.
    Monday 25th February at 6.25 a.m. to be precise (3 episodes every weekday morning).
    No need to thank me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows can be applied to Brexit, huh? Who knew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can add The Fratellis - Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night.
    Costello Music was/is a fine, fine album. The Fratellis never manged the same heights again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any list with Mighty Mighty on it works for me, but I will add Everybody Knows from Candybomber. Nice piece of power pop that came out just last year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...