Wednesday 27 February 2019

My Top Ten Songs Nobody Knows



As a rather obvious sequel to last week's Top Ten Songs Everybody Knows... here's ten songs Nobody Knows.

The illustration at the top of the page is one I found online. I certainly don't know anything about Dick Gyllander, and I'd hazard a guess that nobody else reading this would... except he's a jazz musician from Sweden... so one of you might be familiar with his work.



10. Mike & The Mechanics - Nobody Knows

I would defend the Paul Carrack voiced M&TM to the hilt if the synthy 80s arrangements didn't sound so dated now. There's some good songs buried underneath the over-production.

9. Tom Waits - No One Knows I'm Gone

A very sad song about a man who dies with nobody to mourn him.

8. The Raspberries - Nobody Knows

I can see her dancing with someone else
Holding him so close while I'm by myself
I just want to hit him but that won't do

No, Eric, it won't. Violence is not the answer.

7. Otis Redding  - Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out

A cautionary tale from the 1920s about a millionaire who ends up on skid row... covered by everyone from Tim Hardin to the Spencer Davis Group to the Allman Brothers to Derek & The Dominoes. I'll take Otis.

6. The Feelies - Nobody Knows

The Feelies got together in '76, released 4 albums before 1992, took a bit of time off, then got back together in 2008. This was released in 2011. That's as much as I know. I imagine Brian can tell you more.

5. Paul Brady - Nobody Knows
  
Nobody knows why Elvis threw it all away
Nobody knows what Ruby had to hide
Nobody knows why some of us get broken hearts
And some of us find a world that’s clear and bright

For Mark.

4. Ballboy - Nobody Really Knows Anything

A relationship falls apart and those concerned keep denying it's happening.

3. Billy Bragg - No One Knows Nothing Anymore

Great song. Questionable grammar.

2. Sam Cooke - Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen

A traditional African America slavery song from  the 19th century, recorded by many respectable artists including Paul Robeson, Louis Armstrong... and Hefner. But you're gonna have to go some to beat Sam Cooke.

1. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

Probably my favourite QOTSA track.

The Divine Comedy do an inspired cover of it too.



Nobody knows if you will leave a comment...


9 comments:

  1. Odetta's version of number 7 is wellworth a listen. Even better than Otis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Coke Dares - 'Nobody Knows What you Are, Pillbottle', The Teardrop Explodes - 'Nobody Knows This is Everywhere', Paul McCartney - 'Nobody Knows', Jason Falkner - '...Nobody Knows', Larry Coryell - 'No-One Really Knows'. Can't help you with Dick Gyllander I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But... he's a Swede! A jazzy Swede at that! How can you not have every single record he ever released?

      Delete
  3. Another great version of Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen appears in the movie Spaceballs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edr2FI6b3yI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faces - Nobody Knows.
    A shared vocal by Rod Stewart and Ronnie Lane - well worth 4 minutes of anybody's time

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one knows about wake up my beer is gone https://youtu.be/B43QU_Hi77o

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...