Friday 8 February 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #18: Gateshead


To the north east this week, on my lacklustre Friday filler feature, and Sidney Gateshead, on the opposite side of the Tyne to Newcastle... so I guess we're going "south of the river".

Famous sons & daughters of Gateshead include Brian Johnson, who started off in Geordie but ended up replacing the late Bon Scott in AC/DC, John Steel (drummer in the Animals), and Chris Wilkie from Dubstar.

The gentleman we'll be hearing from today though is commonly known as a Newcastle lad... though he was actually born in Glasgow. You may have an opinion on his former band, and if so, I'm not about to change your mind about that, am I? 80s prejudices are hard to shake.

Still. This is lovely though...

My Saturday job pays six and six down
A copy boy at the Chronicle
Five cigarettes and two silver half crowns
Meeting Vince at Mark Toney’s in town
Boy, do we get around

Basil sits there on the table for subs
But not a part of the Bri-nylon club
Ancient blue sweater, too old for the job
Bored out of his mind
With the Colins and Bobs

I’m a jack and a lad
And I’m up for the world
And I’ve kissed a Gateshead girl



4 comments:

  1. Always was confused about Mark Knopfler being Scottish, now I understand. I love Newcastle, Gateshead and South Shields - I shared a flat with someone from SS for 9 years and my father-in-law was a Geordie. Think the NE of Scotland is spiritually more connected to Scotland than the rest of England.

    I always liked his music and the Local Hero soundtrack is one of my favourite albums - There, I've said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh.. meant to say the NE of England. Other so course may choose to disagree with that statement.

      Delete
  2. Was half expecting Lindisfarne with Paul Gascoigne and Fog on the Tyne when I saw that heading!

    Mrs CC is also a huge fan of the Local Hero soundtrack and his album with Emmylou Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite an intriguing photo, and I proclaim with pride what has already overtaken these comments... Local Hero is a great soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...