Monday 20 April 2020

2020 Contenders: Ralph & Jim Bob



I haven't listened to any new music lately, partly because I do most of that on my daily commute which isn't happening at the moment, and partly because I'm preferring the comfort of old faithfuls.

That said, a couple of new tunes dropped onto my radar this week and both of them reflect what's happening in the world at the moment. The first comes from... of all people... Ralph McTell...



I'm fully behind everything Ralph sings in that little ditty... although I'm going to confess something now, and you can judge me for it all you like.

I'm not partaking in the whole "Clap For Carers" performance, because frankly, it just doesn't sit right with me. Look, I supported the NHS by voting in the last election for a party that wanted to re-invest in our National Health Service... not sell it off. But do you know what? I'd say the majority of people who are stood out on their doorsteps banging their pots and pans on a Thursday evening actually voted Tory. No offence to all those of you who didn't and still want to show your support that way: that's your decision and I respect you for it. I know the regulars who read this blog are of a similar political inclination to myself, and you're good people who probably want to do anything you can right now. 

But I can't, in good conscience, join you in that.

Because if you did vote Tory (and the majority did, judging by the election result), and suddenly now there's a crisis, you're out there virtue-signalling your ra-ra-ras to the whole street and all your facebook friends every Thursday night... well, you're a hypocrite. And I refuse to join your little party, even if I end up being judged for it.

And to the government that's promoting and encouraging this collective show of public gratitude... you're worse than hypocrites. If you'd funded the NHS properly in the first place rather than cutting it to the bone, we wouldn't have to have retired army captains staggering round their gardens with a collecting tin right now. And if you'd listened to the experts a few months back and taken serious action about this pandemic when you should have done, a lot more people would still be alive right now... and many of those would be NHS employees.

While I'm on a rant, here's the new single from Jim Bob. It's only 29 seconds long, but it does the job...





If I have any readers left after this post, I'm hoping it's those of you who dig a blog that features Ralph McTell & Jim Bob in the same post. I'm almost certain you won't be a Tory though...


7 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with that rant as far as I'm concerned. I've been clapping for carers but I feel uncomfortable doing it for reasons similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and great songs for these strange times. Will repost them both, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Streets of London updated.
    We need the likes of Ralph running the country or at the very least someone with an ounce of decency

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree on the points you make, Rol and I can't see you losing any readers! Like FBCB have been rather uncomfortable joining in as just don't do (and can't normally bear) that kind of thing generally so it's very weird/alien - but our immediate neighbour works for the NHS so if nothing else we hope she gets a personal boost from it. Also gives us chance to wave to the nice lady over the road who's self-isolating! How surreal it all seems.
    (Will listen to the songs tomorrow, just popping in before I go to bed.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you brought the whole clapping thing up as like many of us, it does make me feel uncomfortable. I know for a fact several of our neighbours voted Tory yet they are the most insistent that we all get out there. (Ironically they are also the heaviest users of NHS services).

    One of my college buddies wrote a great poem today for NaPoWriMo on this very subject - I congratulated her on articulating what many of us are thinking. Hopefully she’ll let me share it over at my place.

    The post-crisis world will really have to re-evaluate the value given to different jobs in society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fantastic songs. Ralph really nailed it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...