Monday 27 April 2020

Positive Presidents For Negative Times


I've been very hard on Donald Trump these past few years, I admit it. But do you know what? I think I'm coming around. I actually think Mr. Trump may well be the President we need right now, in our darkest hour. A light in the darkness inside all our bodies, you might say.



You see, it's all OK. The leader of the free world wasn't really suggesting we all drink bleach to ward off the coronavirus last week. I mean, that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? Even the experts say so...


No, the president wasn't suggesting we all down a Domestos smoothie. He was making a sarcastic joke. Aimed at the fake news reporters in his audience. (Even though he was looking at his doctors and science advisers the whole time... who were looking back at him in horror.) Because this is what we need right now, while hundreds of thousands of people are dying all across the world: a POTUS who makes sarky wisecracks. Thank god we don't have a president who is actually trying to save lives and do some good - who needs that when we have one who can make with the funny?


Lest you think I'm being unfairly anti-American, our own Home Secretary announced this weekend that car crime, burglary and shoplifting figures are all way down on the same period last year.

I'll let you make up your own punchlines for that one.

I'm not writing all this down (or posting the humorous memes above) for the entertainment of readers to this blog. I'm writing it down so that in 20 years time (if I'm still alive), when I scroll back through my archives, I will have these reminders of the sheer idiocracy we are living in while this dreadful pandemic rages. "Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny," as Bruce keeps reminding us.

When all logic grows cold and all thinking gets done,
You'll be warm in the arms of the Mayor of Simpleton

 


7 comments:

  1. The Mayor of Simpleton indeed.
    You couldn't make it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this. A thousand times this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boris on TV a half hour ago describing CoVid virus as "an invisible mugger" that we have to "wrestle to the ground". Another candidate for the post of Mayor? Oh wait...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching that Trump "bleach" video, it's startling and disturbing how his mind works. It's like watching a 5 year-old reason things out. "if bleach kills germs why can't we use bleach to kill this corona virus". It's not even funny, his bizarre stupidity, when we read of some people believeing what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just unbelievable stuff going on, indeed by recording it in real time it's going to make for some even more incredible reading in the future.
    I was thinking the same as George about the reasoning of a 5 year old. Being the total narcissist that he is I think he also truly, seriously imagined himself as the one who found a cure that no-one else had thought of and thus "saved the world".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. In the back of his head, he was thinking, "hey, if I can come up with something right now, I'll go down in history as the man who saved the world".

      Delete
  6. I’ve been spending far too much time online of late so recognise much of the above - Glad we are all recoding it as in the future no-one would believe the idiotic things that came from the mouths of those who are supposed to be protecting us.

    It seems Mr Trump is now on full meltdown mode however and is throwing his toys out of the pram. Not sure if that makes the world a safer or even more dangerous place (if that were possible).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...