Wednesday 15 April 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #10: Don't Stand So Close To Me


It's easy to forget, when out walking. It's easy to think everything's normal. Cars drive past, joggers, cyclists... other walkers give you a wider berth than usual, maybe, but the world itself looks pretty much as it always does.

And then you pass by your local playground and see the gates cable-tied shut, the swings strung together, the sign that says Closed For Your Safety. And then it hits you again.

I remember back in the days of the last Foot & Mouth epidemic, when they closed all the footpaths. That was a pretty big thing for me at the time as I lived out near my parent's farm and every night after work I'd go out walking... then, suddenly, I couldn't. I could only walk on the roads, I wasn't allowed in any fields any more. But the rest of life went on as normal... and this is kind of the opposite of that. Walking's pretty much all we're allowed to do these days, because everything else is forbidden. What a strange world, that just by being close to other human beings, you're at risk... or they are.

So close, yet so far away.
So close, yet so far away.
We believe in tomorrow, though we're stuck in today.
Baby we're so close, so close, yet so far away.


Apologies if you came expecting Sting and got Daryl Hall & John Oates. It's for your own good though...


2 comments:

  1. I'd have Daryl's voice over Sting's any day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I was really expecting Sting there but a pleasant surprise.

    Never again will I take going for a walk for granted as the high point of my day at the moment (along with FaceTiming DD). So many beautiful butterflies where we were today. A bizarre “war” we’re waging where you’re made to feel like you’re really doing your bit by staying in and watching boxsets. Doesn’t sit with me well at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...