Thursday 23 April 2020

My Top Ten Isolation Songs


Inspired by Swiss Adam's excellent Isolation Mixes, here's ten songs about keeping your distance. I make no apologies for the fact that the Number One song appeared here just a couple of weeks ago.


10. Teri Nunn - Dancing In Isolation

Stop dancing in isolation

9. The Hoodoo Gurus - Isolation

You from me isolation!
Quarantine, Isolation! Refugee, isolation!
Apathy, isolation! 

8. Toto - Isolation

I'm stranded here in a dream and there's no ticket back
I feel a cold wind blowin', my future looks black

7. John Lennon - Isolation

The sun will never disappear,
but the world may not have many years.
Isolation.

(I'm a fan of the Mercury Rev version.)

6. Joy Division - Isolation

In fear every day, every evening

5. John Mellencamp - The Isolation of Mister

I always felt like sorrow was a lesson
I always felt I needed to feel the pain
I thought happiness was a transgression
And I just took it as it came
I never wanted to say too much
To other people I did not understand

4. The Chameleons - Soul In Isolation

Oh, when you think of it, when you think of it
We're all souls in isolation
Alive in here, I'm alive in here
I'm alive in here

3. Iggy Pop - Isolation

Got a lot to do
Got a lot to say
Got a life to live
Here I stand
In isolation

2. The Darling Buds - Isolation

Silence
Does it ever get that good?

1. Warren Zevon - Splendid Isolation

Cool live version, different to the album version I posted recently. Just for variety.

Don't want to wake up with no one beside me
Don't want to take up with nobody new
Don't want nobody coming by without calling first
Don't want nothing to do with you



8 comments:

  1. One can never have too much Warren Zevon, though personally I might've nudged Joy Division a little higher up the rankings - it's the song I've found myself singing most at work, much to everyone's bemusement.
    I've also got the great 'Isolation' by Buzzcocks and a different song called 'Splendid Isolation' by Medium Medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's impressive Rol
    I may have come up with the Buzzcocks but would have been struggling thereafter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes very impressive and knowing your fondness for Warren Zevon not surprised he came in at Number 1.

    Not sure about where you are but a lot more activity on the roads and in town now so don't think people are sticking to the isolation guidance quite as rigidly. Cracks are starting to appear amongst family groups also as some are handling it better than others - A few snippy remarks last night during our extended family quiz and all down to people's circumstances. Being retired and pottering in the garden not the same experience of isolation as being stuck in a one-bedroom flat having lost your job. Anyway, 'tis the times we live in as I keep saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nod. Joy Division would have to be higher for me too but that's just personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy Division are just too depressing for me at the current time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. I'm sure it's been said before but Joy Division could practically cover the entire subject on their own - Incubation, Transmission, Isolation, In A Lonely Place, From Safety To Where... but yes, far too depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom Petty works in any situation, and for these times:
    Don't Come Around Here No More

    Others for consideration:
    Heart - Alone
    Love - Alone Again Or
    and
    George Thorogood & the Destroyers - I Drink Alone

    which reminds me of my favourite joke at the moment:
    A man walks into a bar ...
    the lucky b*stard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a different Top Ten. A good one though....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...