Wednesday 24 August 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #26: Rosanna Arquette


In 1985, Rosanna Arquette won the best supporting actress BAFTA for her role in Desperately Seeking Susan. I'm not suggesting this was made easier by the fact that her co-star wasn't really great shakes in the acting department... then again, Sean Penn was also in that movie, so Rosanna did have some competition. 

Desperately Seeking Susan is a mistaken identity movie, based on the premise that someone might think Madonna and Rosanna are the same person because they wear the same jacket. Well, Mary Prankster has a few thoughts about that...


"Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?" he said
"Rosanna Arquette doesn't look like a thing like Madonna
And you'd have to be a moron
To desperately seek either one."

Rosanna Arquette also appeared in Pulp Fiction, After Hours, Crash and a bunch of other movies and TV shows. She also has a few famous siblings, meaning this might not be the last time an Arquette features here. However, her biggest claim to immortality surely comes from the fact that she inspired not one but two huge 80s songs. 

The first is the most obvious. Rosanna was dating Toto keyboard player Steve Porcaro at the time this was written by the band's other keyboard player, David Paich, and sung by Bobby Kimball. Could have been awkward, although Paich claimed the song was actually about his old high school girlfriend and Not About Rosanna Arquette At All. 

Many years later, he confessed that might have been a bit of a lie... by which time, Rosanna and Steve Porcaro were history anyway.

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see your eyes
Rosanna, Rosanna
I never thought that a girl like you could ever care for me
Rosanna
All I wanna do in the middle of the evening is hold you tight
Rosanna, Rosanna
I didn't know you were looking for more than I could ever be


Soon after, Rosanna ended up in a relationship with Peter Gabriel. When director Cameron Crowe wanted to use a song from the album So in his movie Say Anything, Rosanna apparently persuaded Gabriel to let him have it. (Apparently Gabriel asked to see a rough cut of the movie first and was willing to let them use his song, although he didn't like the downbeat ending... but the production company had sent him the wrong film anyway.) All this led to a particularly iconic (and much parodied) scene featuring John Cusack and Ione Skye...

In your eyes
The light, the heat (in your eyes)
I am complete (in your eyes)
I see the doorway (in your eyes)
To a thousand churches (in your eyes)
The resolution (in your eyes)
Of all the fruitless searches (in your eyes)

The cognoscenti are convinced Gabriel wrote this song about Rosanna Arquette, although Pete has refused to Say Anything. Rosanna married film composer James Newton Howard the following year, So... 


Not wanting to end on such a downbeat note, I found one more song that mentions Rosanna Arquette, by the French answer to Neil Hannon, Vincent Delerm. This is from his 2004 album, Kensington Square, although the title rather dates it. "Les filles de 1973 ont trente ans" translates as "The girls of 1973 are thirty years old". Well, next year, they'll be 50, Vincent. Will they still be wearing their bandanas and Rosanna Arquette Reeboks then? Let's hope so...



6 comments:

  1. Ione Skye, now there's a name I've not seen in a long time. Rachel in The Rachel Papers! Ultimate respect if you can find songs with her name in the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, there may be two: 80's Montage by Mark Juliano and The Joy of Your World by MC Paul Barman. No, me neither, on either count. Although the first one has this lyric:

      "Did you mean it
      This is the final goodbye
      I should've seen it
      It was the final line
      Of an 80's movie where you're Ione Skye
      And I'm John Cusack standing outside"

      Which ties in nicely with your post.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Martin - I like it when people set me a challenge and then complete the challenge themselves before I even see it!

      Delete
    3. I can only apologise :)

      Delete
  2. Had never occurred to me before that the Rosanna in the Toto song was about Ms Arquette. Having watched Xanadu over the weekend, where Olivia plays a daughter of Zeus 'muse', I'm totally au fait now with the origin of the term. Rosanna definitely seems to have been one.

    As for Desperately Seeking Susan, the best acting Madonna ever did as she essentially played herself. It was all downhill from then on.

    Ah, you guys and your challenges. None of the answers would be possible without the world-wide-web, but then again we wouldn't be writing and commenting on blogs without it either. One begets the other I suppose and I'm happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I could still do this feature without the web, just using my record collection. But it would take much longer and not be as thorough.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...