Tuesday 23 August 2022

Grumpy Old Men Songs #20: Another Bloody Holiday!?


We were on holiday again last week. I realise as I type those words that it puts me in direct competition with Charity Chic for most holidays in one year, but all the others were just short breaks, I did turn 50, one of them was carried over from Covid, and one of them was just to get me and Sam out of the house for a few days as Louise works from home.

Anyway, this was our last one, and to be honest, it was a bit of an endurance test. May well have been the holiday that broke the camel's back. Nearly broke mine, for sure.


Norfolk is a very nice place, but it's at least a 4 hour journey (5 1/2 hours on the way back as they'd helpfully closed the main route and not put proper diversions in place) and we've never been there during the summer holidays before. There was a heatwave as we arrived, we couldn't get anywhere near a beach (except at sunset), we melted the oven in the holiday cottage on the first night (long story) and Louise ended the week with food poisoning. Those were the highlights.

Well, there were some nice bits too, but I certainly didn't come back feeling rested and relaxed. Good job I've still got another two weeks before I go back to work. (Insert "Bloody teachers!" comment here.) 


We also met some very annoying people whilst away. Which put me in mind of this new, yet already classic, Grumpy Old Man song by Chuck Brodsky...

Half the people have gone crazy
The other half have all gone mad
And I could make a fortune selling bridges
If I hadn’t sold the last one that I had
Half the people have no idea
The other half, they haven’t got a clue
They’ll believe anything anyone’ll tell them
Unless it can be proven to be true

Half the people are just plain coo-coo
The other half are just plain loony toons
Bite your tongue, you can’t talk sense to any of ‘em
They hate you when you burst their balloons

Half the people are talking rubbish
The other half are all just talking crap
You’ve got to be careful and remind yourself
Not to take the bait and step into a trap
Half the people nowadays are bonkers
The other half have all gone insane
Everybody everywhere looks angry
And they need to blame somebody for their pain

(I'd like to point out that anyone reading this blog is naturally excluded from the above. You're all the exceptions that prove the rule. Thank you.)



2 comments:

  1. You should have popped in to see Martin and The Swede!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to be under the misapprehension that I have free time. Not even on holiday! (Especially not on holiday. )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...