Thursday 11 August 2022

Neverending Top Ten #5.1: Chester


Sam and I had our annual Boy's Only Getaway last week, and as we've done York twice now (last year and two years ago, with only house arrest in the Covid Summer), this time we chose to visit Chester. I've never been before and I was pretty impressed. Chester seems to play more on its Roman heritage than York's obsession with the Vikings, and we enjoyed our visit to the Dewa Discovery Centre (where Sam was inducted into the Roman Army by a Centurion who informed us that there were only 80 soldiers in a Century... which forced me to do a little digging) and Sick To Death (a new attraction focused on the history of medicine, although much of it involved poo and wee, which made Sam very happy). The Romans had proper sewage systems, unlike the savages that followed them.

We also went to Chester Zoo (which I'll save for another post) and did a Treasure Trail that took us all around the town, from the Cathedral to the Roman Ampitheatre and down to the river, where we avoiding taking a boat trip on the Lady Diana. 


As it's Olivia Newton John Week here on My Top Ten, here's her song for Sam...



2 comments:

  1. I have been to Chester many, many years ago. Yep, all very Roman but I don’t know that snippet about how many centurions it takes to make a century. Every day’s a school day.

    A beautiful song by Olivia for your son.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...