Monday 1 August 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #16: Lana Turner


I thought I'd saved the best of George's suggestions to last... until he came up with a whole new list, which I failed miserably at. You can't win 'em all.

Right now, it's Lana Turner, who was married seven times, which probably tells you all you need to know. Let's put it this way... The Postman Always Rang Twice for Ms. Turner.

Lana is the first of our stars to make an appearance on Madonna's own Celebrity Jukebox, although I'm sure she won't be the last...


Lana also enjoyed starring roles in many other popular tunes though. Here's a handful...


I'll let you down if you want to
Wrap it up and take it away
You can have a picture of Lana Turner 
Even though she'd get away


With Lana Turner on the screen beside me
The frame is hardly filled by Orson Wells
We switch into a Fred and Ginger number
That they're dancing oh so well


Well, maybe you think you're Harlow, Lana Turner
Or a Hedy Lamarr
Well, baby baby baby believe me you go too far

However, there's one song and one song only that guarantees Lana Turner musical immortality. Take it away, Nina...

Liz Taylor is not his style
And even Lana Turner's smile
Is somethin' he can't see
My baby don't care who knows
My baby just cares for me



6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to these songs. I've no more film star suggestions, my final offerings are directors Robert Wise (he did one of my favourite films, NOT the Sound of Music I hasten to add) and Otto Preminger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know any more film stars, George? Did you stop watching movies in 1960?

      Directors are celebrities too, and one of your suggestions does offer up a possibility or two.

      Delete
    2. It's a great series, but maybe some other readers can suggest a film star? Having said that has Robert Mitchum appeared yet? Claude Rains? James Coburn (see, I do know some after the 1950s)? Gregory Peck?

      Delete
    3. Robert Mitchum was #1. I reckon those others will pop up soon enough. Thank you for your service.

      Delete
  2. I had never noticed that Lana's name had appeared in the lyrics to Nina's song before. The kind of song you enjoy more because of the jazzy melody.

    Occurred to me that having Lana in lyrics in the 70s would be like namechecking someone from the 90s nowadays. Those stars filmed in black and white seemed to be from a very distant time, and had more mystique, even in the 70s. Colour and social media changed everything and shrank the timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media is responsible for all the ills of contemporary society, says a Grumpy Old Man.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...