Wednesday 31 August 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #29: Nerys Hughes


I'm really enjoying researching and writing this feature, which is why you're getting it three times a week at the moment, whether you like it or not. (Also, doing so gives me less opportunity to whinge.) However, after the mammoth investigations of Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby, I figured I'd pick someone a little easier for the latest installment. Surely there can't be more than one song about Nerys Hughes... can there?

Well, there was one more than I knew about.


(Link is to the full album, so you have to scroll through to track 3. I'd like to tell you it's worth the effort, but... well, let's just say you'll be glad I transcribed the lyrics for you.)

Sad bag of cliches sitting on a timb bomb.
Ask Nerys Hughes it's a very short fuse.
Go find Alfie ask about the road rage,
Odds on it's kicking off somewhere near you.

Nerys Hughes enjoyed ten years mucking about as one of The Liver Birds before clearing off back to Wales to become The District Nurse. The fact that Nerys was a Welsh bird doing a ropey Liverpudlian accent for all that time seems to have incensed The Pope of Birkenhead, Nigel Blackwell. He also takes offence at Carla Lane, the writer who popularised Scouse cliche for humour in both The Liver Birds and Bread


Come on into my world
Where everything is done without Carla Lane
Come into my world
Where Vanburn Holder joins a local grindcore outfit 

But this is why we came here today. Nerys is, according to the always essential Half Man Half Biscuit Lyrics Project, not a fan...

Half Man Half Biscuit - I Hate Nerys Hughes (From The Heart)



5 comments:

  1. "I'm really enjoying researching and writing this feature," and despite the recent lurch to modern times I am enjoying reading it, and occasionally liking the music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "lurch to modern times", I presume you mean the 1970s, grandpa?

      Delete
    2. do you really need an answer to that?

      Delete
  2. Yes, modern times compared with the film stars you started out with. More of us will probably remember these more recent 'celebrities' though and have memories of them, fond or not. Personally I have fond memories of Nerys and The Liver Birds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...