Monday 1 May 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #84: Barry Humphries


Humour is very subjective. I never got the big deal about Dame Edna... though according to Barry Humphries' biographer, he was not only "the most significant theatrical figure of our time … [but] the most significant comedian to emerge since Charlie Chaplin". 

(Whisper it now... I never got Chaplin either. Laurel & Hardy? Harold Lloyd? Fine. But Chaplin's sad clown act just got on my wick.)

Anyway, you didn't come here to hear my thoughts on comedy... you came here to hear some tunes that pay tribute to the late Barry Humphries and his most famous creation. You've got to respect Dame Edna for this letter that appeared in last week's Telegraph...


And here she is in all her glory...


Now here's a singer who has appeared in this feature before. 

I have been traveling since 1981
I've been to Australia twice
I saw Dame Edna in the outback sun
I’ve been to Switzerland, Germany, England, Canada
Alaska, Hawaii, and the continuous states
Everywhere I go, strangers talk to me
I guess I have a friendly face

Christine Lavin - Strangers Talk To Me In Colorado Springs On A Thursday Night

Next, some Australian hip hop... though you'd probably have worked that out for yourself.

Grew up on that Ramsey Street
All my neighbours my family
Dame Edna my Granny

Eleji - Dust

And here's one of the stars of RuPaul's drag race, clearly following in Dame Edna's footsteps... or not.

But what about Divine?
Bitch stole from me all the time!
What about Lady Bunny?
That man's not even funny
What about Dame Edna?
I'm gonna ignore what you just said-na

Alaska Thunderfuck - I Invented That (feat. Jackie Beat)

To be honest, none of the above would have been enough to merit an entry on the jukebox for Barry... were it not for the song below. I'm surprised that I've been doing this feature 9 months now and this is the first time it's appeared. I'm sure it won't be the last...

Sometimes I feel that the whole world's going mad
Mork and Mindy, Brian Hayes
Barry Humphries, Paris Grey
Little Neepsie, Chris and Do
Hello, hello, hello, hello...




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...