Wednesday 3 May 2023

TV On The Radio #7: Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em


"Hmm, Betty, the doggy’s done a whoopsie on the floor.”

Frank Spencer never actually uttered this line in the popular 70s sitcom, but thanks to Mike Yardwood, the rest of the country started doing Michael Crawford impressions and the line became a legend. And if that wasn't bad enough...


Humour is a very subjective thing. Me, I prefer The Shirehorses...


You'll only get that if you're familiar with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

I remember watching Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em when I was a kid and generally finding it annoying in the same way that I would find Adam Sandler's man-child act intensely irritating 20 years later. It never fails to amaze me that Crawford would go on to become a West End legend as The Phantom of the Opera. Quite a leap up from Frank.

Let's kick off our Frank tribute, appropriately enough, in Mu Mu Land...

Trapped in a rerun
Of a seventies sitcom soap
"Some Mothers Do Have 'Em"
Or "The Archie Bunker Show"
I was snogging with Felicity
“The Good Life” begins in bed
Richard was in the garden
Or I think that's what she said


I think it's also fair to say that Frank was a pretty Kooky kind of guy...

Watches black and white movies to get thin
Curls her hair just like Marilyn
Oh, what an enigmatic woman
My gosh do some mothers have 'em


Next a band who also wrote a song about Freddy Kreuger. I'd have loved to see a Frank Spencer vs. Freddy Kreuger movie...


I can't imagine Justin Currie was much of a Frank Spencer fan... but I have been wrong before.


Today's winner though is a song about thinking that the singer onstage is looking straight at you (and maybe you've got a chance with them!) when actually they can't see the crowd's faces at all because of the stage lights. Which is just the kind of idiotic thing that Frank Spencer would probably do...

One look sends it coursin' through the veins, oh, how the feelin' races
Back up to their brains to form expressions on their stupid faces
They don't want to say hello like I want to say hello
Well, the heartbeat's at its peak when you're coming up to speak

And oh, I'm so tense, never tenser, could all go a bit Frank Spencer
And I'm talkin' gibberish, tip of the tongue but I can't deliver it
Properly, oh, it's all gettin' on top of me
And if it weren't this dark, you'd see how red my face has gone, yeah


4 comments:

  1. I believe it was the cat not the dog that done a whoopsie (or didn't done it as the case may be)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, but as our cat did one under the bed last week, I was trying to avoid the flashbacks.

      Delete
    2. Given the amount of times our house cats miss their (four!) litter trays Jo and I are extremely pleased we don't have any carpets in our house

      Delete
  2. The whoopsie was in his beret I think. Not funny now, not back then yet so many songs about him.

    In an earlier incarnation he was the boy from Yonkers in Hello Dolly.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...