Friday 5 May 2023

Product Placement Friday #12: Parker Pen

George Safford Parker was born in Wisconsin in 1863. He founded the Parker Pen company when he was just 25, although until 2011, their headquarters was based in Newhaven. Then they moved to France. "From the 1920s to the 1960s, before the development of the ballpoint pen, Parker was either number one or number two in worldwide writing instrument sales." When I was a kid, the Parker Pen was a much desired item... though I'm not sure anybody knew why. Parker's writing implements certainly made an impression on these guys though...

And I stick my Parker pen under my ear
Beneath my own carefully scruffed hair.
What I wear
Have to check out of Moody's lair
Hang on!

The Fall - He Pep!

From one loudmouth Manc to another...

I feel so sorry for you
If you were thirteen I would let you off
But you're not and you should know better
Gather my thoughts on a notepad with a Parker Pen
And write you a letter but
There's not enough paper in the world

The Courteeners - Acrylic

Followed by some pretty clever wordplay...

People meet by chance
Fall in love, drift apart again
Underaged drinkers walk the park
And watch the dark descend
The workers watch the clocks
Fiddle with their Parker pens

Kae Tempest - Lionmouth Door Knocker

And as usual, there's some weird blippy-squelchy dance track named after the product of the day, because why not? It's not as though your song's actually about anything...

Treb - Parker Pen

Far more satisfying to these aging ears is some 21st Century bluegrass...

Terry Earl Taylor - Wish I Had A Parker Pen

I am also convinced there is a Jim Bob song that mentions a Parker Pen. But I can't for the life of me find it. So here's another great Jim Bob song just because...

Jim Bob - Cartoon Dad

Today though, I have a chance to re-share one of my favourite songs from last year, by the inimitable HMHB. Tissues at the ready, folks...

The days she feared are here
The easy years are gone
His ‘best before’ draws near
And warning lights are on
Effort is tiring
But then again
Just for enquiring
She’ll get a free Parker Pen

The surgery leaflets
Offer advice
But there’s no preparation
For losing him twice
And now he’s washed and dressed and ready
To keep him safe she’ll face the hurt
And if she could hold that needle steady
She could sew his name into his shirt



2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...