Tuesday 5 September 2023

Namesakes #49: The Flowerpot Men


Jim, our Dubai correspond, commented last week about this feature that it's "great hearing obscure songs we would probably otherwise would never hear, some good, some bad but always interesting". Thanks for that, Jim. I feel the same way. Which brings us to... flobadobadobadob. 

Yes, this week we're taking a listen to bands named after Bill and Ben, those peculiar stars of kids' TV who made their screen debut back in 1952... yet somehow were still being repeated 20 odd years later, while also being revived in the 80s (possibly) and then again as a ghastly 21st Century reboot. 

Let's see if we can get through these Flowerpot Men before the Man who works in the Garden comes back from his lunch...


THE FLOWER POT MEN #1

John Carter and Ken Lewis were the songwriters from The Ivy League. They'd been Tossing & Turning around the charts for a couple of years when they decided to branch out and dip their green fingers into Beach Boys-esque psychedelia with the 1967 Top 5 hit Let's Go To San Francisco. Recorded by session musicians, there wasn't really a group called The Flower Pot Men at that time, but they cobbled one together for tours and later recordings. In the States, they were known as The Flower Men, to avoid any nasty drug references...
  

THE FLOWERPOT MEN #2

I can't find out much about these guys, other than that they came from the UK, their cellist Adam Peters can be heard on The Killing Moon by Echo & The Bunnymen, and they later changed their name to Sunsonic. Their most famous song, Beat City, was an integral part of the soundtrack to Ferris Bueller's Day Off... hence it's very important to 80s kids like yours truly.


THE FLOWERPOT MEN #3

OK, deep breath. In 1987, apparently, the BBC decided to revive Bill & Ben. I can't find any mention of this on their iffypedia page, and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper. However, to promote the new show they commissioned a promotional song by The Firm (TV-pop "superstars" responsible for the Number One novelty hit Star Trekkin' as well as the slightly less annoying Chas 'n' Dave-esque Minder tribute, Arfur Daley... E's Alright). The resulting promo disc is apparently now as rare as hen's teeth (and even less desirable), and to be honest, it makes Star Trekkin' sound like Wuthering Heights. Still, for the sake of completeness...


Which Flower Pot Men would you be happy to see in your garden... and which are the Weeeeeed?


6 comments:

  1. #1 is still as dreary and sappy as I remember it, #3 is not a painless listen, far from it. And #2 is a splendid tune, so that's my pick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your use of "not painless" continues to confound me, George.

      Delete
    2. It's giving me a not-painless headache

      Delete
  2. Great post, Rol, I really enjoy this series. #3 I don't recall hearing before. It's not as bad as Star Trekkin' but that really is damning it with faint praise. I'd mostly forgotten #1 before I'd even finished listening to it.

    So it's #2 for me, no question. I own three 12" singles by The Flowerpot Men, which is pretty much all they did. One of them is a cover of Walk On Gilded Splinters by Dr. John, the B-side Melting Down On Motor Angel also providing the inspiration for the title of Sunsonic's sole album in 1990.

    Both have done lots since. Adam Peters did a very nice remix of Butterfly by Lloyd Cole, inspired by Unfinished Sympathy, worth checking out. Ben Watkins achieved much greater success as Juno Reactor.

    Coincidentally I featured Sunsonic in a mixtape last week, so maybe it's time to unearth The Flowerpot Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, K. I'm surprised by the reactions to #3, as I figured it would meet with universal opprobrium. Then again, I am partly responsible for Star Trekkin' getting to Number One, as I did buy a copy. My only excuse is that I was 15, but that's not really a defence. Maybe if I'd been 8...

      Delete
  3. As i was saying, the good the bad and the interesting although i won't say which is which out of these three :-) but i will go for the big hit, number 1.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...