Tuesday 26 September 2023

Namesakes #52: The Aliens


This week we're going to have some close encounters... but which will you want to get closest to? Bring on the Aliens...


THE ALIENS #1

In 1966, musical Aliens were first sighted hiding in the garages of Norfolk, Virginia...


THE ALIENS #2

Prog-rockers spotted somewhere in the skies around UK UFO hotspot, Wokingham in 1978. I listened to far more of this than I expected to...


THE ALIENS #3

Aussie Aliens who beamed down 3 power-poppy singles and an album back around 1980. These days, they'd be arrested for stalking...

(That said, I was most disappointed to not find audio for the 1975 barbershop Aliens with their song 'Why Do They Always Say No, When There's Yes, Yes In Their Eyes?'. Different times, etc. etc.)


ALIENS #4

Also in 1980, these Aliens were invading discos all across Italy...


THE ALIENS #5

Also in 1980, Kenny Everett's space hero Captain Kremmen released his own movie. The 20 minute script was written by Barry Cryer, and this was on the soundtrack...


THE ALIENS #6

Also known as The Aliens That Ate Hollywood, this is Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age, mucking about with his mates on The Desert Sessions.


THE ALIENS #7

Following the implosion of the Beta Band, Gordon 'Lone Pigeon' Anderson, John Maclean and Robin Jones got themselves a second hand UFO from a man down the market in Fife and formed The Aliens. They almost crash landed into the lower reaches of the album chart with their debut long player...


ALIENS #8

Aliens Under New York! This underground punk band released one album in 2007 before the Men In Black presumably caught up with them.

When I was a kid, I used to play a computer game called Alien 8. It was pretty cool.


THE ALIENS #9

Also known as The Aliens UK, here's some music that actually sounds to me like it could have come from an alien spaceship. Via Peckham. 


The truth is out there! Indisputable proof of alien life! But which one will you be taking to your leader... and which would you prefer for the US air force to blast them out of the sky?



7 comments:

  1. I quite like 1, 2 and 3 (although 2 sounds like it should have been made in 1968 not 1978). Didn't much care for any of the others.

    That was the same as the deleted comment but without the typos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you try to maintain high standards of SPaG, even in comment boxes.

      Delete
  2. #1 will certainly be on my Downloads series, #2 was most certainly not until the jangly guitars gave way to something much more interesting (it reminded me of Freebird in places), #3, although not a keeper, is not a bad listen, if given enough airplay at the time it could have made the UK charts, #4 is 5 mins 44second of my life I won't get back, total bobbins, #5 is somehow worse than #4, and those 2 plus #6 & #7 helped drown out Anita's bleating, #8, was it cut off before it became incredibly annoying? and #9 was incredibly annoying and I closed it off after 2 mins 6 seconds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your devotion to duty is admirable, as ever, George.

      Delete
    2. Can you tell how much I enjoy the collections in this series? It is my second favourite blogging series at the moment.

      Delete
    3. That makes it all worthwhile. But I'm enjoying it too, or I wouldn't have kept it up this long.

      Having said that, you might want to set aside a few extra hours in your diary next Tuesday...

      Delete
  3. Number 7 for me. I bought this album when it came out on the strength of the best single on it, The Happy Song

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...