Friday 15 September 2023

Reasons To Be Cheerful (iii): Golfer's Elbow


Haven't done one of these for a while, but now seems an appropriate time...

1. Colder nights

After the unseasonably warm weather of the past week, during which I've been sleeping with just a sheet (and a fan in the bedroom!), it was good to feel the need to pull the duvet over me on Wednesday night. Autumn is my second favourite season (after Spring) and I'm looking forward to the nights drawing in, the leaves on the path, even the misty mornings. 

Where are the songs of spring? Ay, Where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,—
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day,
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the river sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft
The red-breast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.

(John Keats - Ode To Autumn)



2. Golfer's Elbow

The good news is, I don't have Tennis Elbow. The slightly less good news is that I have "Golfer's Elbow". Like I have the time (or inclination) to play golf! Still, I'm taking my recent visit to the doctors as a win, and here's why... she couldn't find anything seriously wrong with me. I've had various health concerns over the summer besides the elbow (cramp in my jaw, a weird taste in my saliva, that thing on my back), but none of them appear to be of major concern. 

They hate me when I turn up at the local GP. I don't go very often, but when I do, I bring a list...




3. Micky Does Michael

This really shouldn't work. The last remaining Monkee is releasing an album of REM covers. Apparently he's a big fan, and REM were quite fond of his band too. But it really shouldn't work. 

However... if the first taste is anything to go by, this could be amazing. Dolenz has re-imagined REM's poppiest moment as though it were an out-take from Head. Now I love REM, and I don't feel the muso-snobbery towards Shiny Happy People that some fans do, but there's an argument to be made that Micky's version actually improves upon the original. I don't agree, but I'd readily listen to anyone who thought that way. Lovely stuff... 


5 comments:

  1. Pleasantly surprised at how good that cover of SHP is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seen this article and it seems quite apposite to this post and your last one:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/15/the-bothers-cure-write-sentence-school-michael-rosen

    Also very glad to hear that the GP couldn't find anything seriously wrong with you - it makes such a difference when you've been checked out and reassured - so good to know. A major cause of anxiety for me too earlier in the year so I can empathise. (Weirdly one thing that helped me get my zest for life back and improved my state of mind no end was when I lay there panicking in the middle of the night with my head pulsing thinking I might die and then I knew I truly didn't want to!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, C. I think that's what this blog is for me... and has been for a long while now. I'm going to add that article to my growing file and may refer back to it in the future.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...