Friday 27 September 2024

Listening Post #4: Father


The new John Grant album is everything you could want from a John Grant album, if you're a John Grant fan. I don't think it'll win him any new converts, but I reckon he's at the point in his career where he's happy with the fanbase he's got.

One track in particular stops me in my tracks whenever it comes on... and it had me crying on the motorway this morning. As with much of John's writing, it's extremely personal and suggests that the relationship with his late father was a complex one. But I couldn't help but be affected by this verse...

And that's the staircase where I sat back in the 70s
Listening to the radio, the first big hit from C&T
I'd still be sitting there if anything were up to me
I can hear you telling me that nothing on this Earth is free
And now I see the work bench that you made with your two hands
And I'd give anything to see you standing where you used to stand
To feel your hand upon my shoulder, that meant comfort then
To see you turn around and smile and say, "Hey, Quatro, how you been?"

Extra marks for anyone who can identify C&T. Knowing John Grant like I do, I have a pretty good idea...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...