Thursday 6 September 2018

My Top Ten Laundrette / Laundromat Songs




This one was inspired by The Swede who posted one of these tunes a few weeks back. I liked it so much, I thought I'd dig out nine more and toss them in the washing machine...

10. Joe Jackson - Laundromat Monday

Joe wonders where his Mondays went, while trying to find someone else to do his chores...

I want a French maid, someone to wash my jeans
Each quarter I've made is lost in washing machines
I'm gonna change the world, I could be President
If I could just work out where all my Mondays went

9. Camper Van Beethoven - (I Was Born In A) Laundromat

Another CVB song that appears to have an anti-racism subtext mixed among the tumbled socks...

I was born in a laundromat
I was born in a cul-de-sac
Some of us are brown
And some of us are white
Just give me some tension release

8. The Dead Milkmen - The Laundromat Song

Ever fallen in love across the laundromat floor? Hide your embarrassing undies...

Clothes go round and round
And my heart goes up and down
She's drying her jeans
In separate machines

My mind grows dirty when my clothes get clean

7. The Avett Brothers - Laundry Room

I suspect there's more going on here than just a little fluffing and folding...

Close the laundry door
Tiptoe across the floor
Keep your clothes on
I've got all that I can take
Teach me how to use
The love that people say you made

6. Rory Gallagher - Laundromat

Rory Gallagher sleeps inside a washing machine. Those crazy 70s.

5. The Detergents - Leader of the Laundromat

An answer song written as the male response to Leader of the Pack. I remember hearing Brian Matthews play this years ago. It's quirky and kitsch, but can't hold a candle to the original.

4. Trent Willmon - Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat.

I might give this one to Charity Chic for his Most Country of Country Song Titles series...

3. Albert King - Laundromat Blues / Answer To The Laundromat Blues

Don't put your blues in with your whites, Albert.

You take two or three pieces
And go down to the laundromat
An' take ya eight hours to wash 'em
No good!

2. The Pretenders - Watching The Clothes

Imagine bumping into Chrissie Hynde down the washeteria!

1. Vivien Goldman - Laundrette

Thanks again to The Swede for this lost early 80s gem. Had to make it Number One because it's just so quirky/offbeat/cool.



What's in your washing basket?

11 comments:

  1. Glad to be of service Rol! I can also offer a little squib of a tune by Hatfield & the North called 'Laundry Soup' (recorded for John Peel's Top Gear show apparently), plus Ashley Hutchings and his Morris dancing friends celebrating 'Washing Day'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Peel did Top Gear? Pre-Clarkson, I presume.

      Delete
  2. Apart from having Rory at Numero Uno, I'd offer Neil Young's raucous'n roll song "Welfare Mothers which, though it doesn't mention laundromats/laundrettes in the title, does have a lot about laundry and related stuff in the lyrics...
    "Welfare mothers make better lovers
    Down at every laundromat in town now
    Welfare mothers make better lovers
    While they're washing, you can hear this sound now..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bunch of lyrical refs to laundromats which I left out when I realised I already had ten titular ones. Perhaps Volume 2.

      Delete
  3. Blockheads -Imagine finding one in your laundry basket

    Song 4 duly noted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blues are still blue by Belle & Sebastian, no mention of laundrette in the title but mentioned throughout the lyrics and a top tune as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about?
    I, Ludicrous - Argument in the Launderette
    and
    The Shapes - (I Saw) Batman (in the Launderette)
    Maybe not for your chart, but worth a listen, (top two of two in my chart).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Always got time for I, Ludicrous and the Batman track sounds worthy of investigation too.

      Delete
  6. I guess car wash doesn't qualify, but it fits the theme and sentiments

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...