Wednesday 4 November 2020

2020: The Year That Keeps On Taking

 


No sooner had I scheduled my tribute to James Broad of Silver Sun than the news hit me of two more musical deaths in the year to end all bad years.

I don't know much by Billy Joe Shaver, but what I have heard, I like. 

I've spent a lifetime making up my mind to be
More than the measure of what I thought others could see
Good luck and fast bucks are too far and too few between
For Cadillac buyers and old five and dimers like me

Billy Joe Shaver - Old Five & Dimers Like Me

Billy Joe passed like week, aged 81. 

A few days earlier, another name from the same era of country music, Jerry Jeff Walker, died of throat cancer.

The eulogies came thick and fast for Jerry Jeff, mostly concentrating on his most famous tune... one that's been covered by everyone from Harry Belafonte to Edwyn Collins, Neil Diamond to Whitney Houston, Bob Dylan to Robbie Williams... and, of course, Sammy Davis Jr.

Jerry Jeff Walker - Mr. Bojangles

Everyone likes to have their heart broken by a dying dog, eh?

Unlike Billy Joe, who I only knew a couple of tunes by, I was more familiar with Jerry Jeff's back catalogue, having dipped my toe into it on more than one occasion over the years. Here are a couple the music player tells me I listened to a lot.

Jerry Jeff Walker - Pissin' In The Wind

Now we worked and we suffered and struggled
Makin' our record till we got it right
Now we're waiting on the check to come sneaking down the hall
Like that old time feeling
That we never should have ever put the record out at all



If you're interested in keeping up on who passes each month from the world of music, there's no finer blog to read than Any Major Dude With Half A Heart. I've been following The Dude since my earliest days of blogging - indeed, only his blog and JC's are still around from my earliest forays into the blogosphere. Every month, the Dude posts a list of all the musical names - big and small - who have passed, with links to choice songs by each of them. But that's not the only reason I've kept reading his blog for so long - he also posts amazing themed mixtapes that in many ways were the original inspiration for the Top Tens I began compiling on Sunset Over Slawit, eventually leading to the creation of this blog.

A week or so ago, 2020 did a number on The Dude. He's already lost his job this year, and then his blog was attacked by malware hackers. (He suspects it may have been in response to an anti-Trump mixtape he posted... but I guess we'll never know. That may just be fake news.) Anyway, The Dude was thinking of packing it all in at this point, unable to afford the anti-malware software needed to rescue his blog from the brink... but in a last ditch effort, he threw an appeal out to his readers. They quickly rallied round with Paypal donations (I threw him a couple of quid myself, for all the great reading & listening over the years) and in less than 24 hours he'd raised the money he needed to keep his blog afloat. 
 
A little bit of good news goes a long way this year. 

Here's one of the many, many great tunes I first heard over at The Dude's place...


3 comments:

  1. I've got a few BJ Shaver albums and saw hime live once when he was completely off his tree.
    Should have reference the passing of JJW when I posted Neil Diamond's version of Mr Beaujangles
    Only read about the Dude being hacked after the fact. Shows the strength of the blogging community

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Billy Joe Shaver. My favourite Country singer Waylon Jennings recorded his song "Honky Tonk Heroes" and Johnny Cash did "I've Been to Georgia on a Fast Train". Then there was the actor Robert Duvall who sang "Live Forever" in the film "Crazy Heart".

    I haven't visited Any Major Dude With Half A Heart's blog for a while and am sorry to hear of his troubles but glad he's managing to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eulogies certainly keep coming thick and fast this year. I had always assumed the song Mr Bojangles had been around forever as it's featured in films set in earlier periods. Love that song.

    As for Any Major Dude's blog, that's a shitty thing to happen but what a great response from the blogging community. The best of luck to him going forward.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...