Monday 2 November 2020

My Top Ten Silver Sun Songs

 


I was sad to hear of the death of the lead singer and songwriter of one of my favourite 90s bands late last week. 

Silver Sun mixed chunky power pop guitars with Beach Boys harmonies and fun lyrics - they also had some excellent 50s B-movie inspired record sleeves. And, as I've previously written about here, they were responsible for the loudest gig I ever saw.

James Broad died last week of cancer. Rest in peace, fella. Thanks for the tunes... ten of which, I dug out to play today.


10. Trickle Down

A b-side!

Small town life just gets me down...

9. Would've If I Could've

Well, I would've if I could've but I couldn't so I didn't
So I should have if I could have...

8. Julia

Lilo, Milo's got the change
He's the Geezer who's slightly deranged
Everyone knows what to do when a little accident's due
Chop it up and you'll be fine
Get back to the cheap red wine
Marry me in the Med, cut to the bed

7. Bubblegum

You got a problem with multi-tasking
Are you dancing, coz I'm asking
No error in syntax
You're definitely intact

6. Dumb

Angrier than Elvis Costello at his most gnarly!

5. Too Much, Too Little, Too Late

Their biggest hit, a cover of the Johnny Mathis & Denice Williams song from the 70s... made #20 on the singles chart in 1998. We played it to death (and all their other singles) on the Sunday night indie show I produced back then.

4. Lava

The opening line is a gulped "I fucking give up", yet they still played this on the radio.

3. Sharks

Now we are out of the sea
And we're keeping away from the sharks
Now it's just you, it's just me
And we'll never be together apart
Keepin' away from the sharks


I like the snow and better still
I like it when you're not around
Give me my loan back
All of my ex-girlfriends they were shit

1. Golden Skin

Perfect riffs, glorious harmonies... should have been a smash.




4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize he had passed away, very sad.
    I always liked Silver Sun, especially Golden Skin and Lava and would also add I'll See You Around to this from there second album, i have these song on vinyl and part of the attraction was the sleeves, always very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made a fair few albums, the most recent one "Switzerland" is brilliant, and somewhat bittersweet given it was released only a few months ago.

      Delete
  2. Genuinely saddened to learn this. I saw Silver Sun a handful of of times in 1997/8, including once at BBC's Maida Vale studio and I still have those first two albums plus most of the early EPs. Terrific Top 10 tribute Rol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...