Tuesday 15 December 2020

My Top Twenty of #2020: #13

 

I guess you can call this my "Ladies of Americana" post. Four fine albums that I struggled to pick a favourite from, all worthy of merit... so why not give them all a mention?

Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

I was undecided on Courtney Marie Andrews until this record. It convinced me. 

Courtney Marie Andrews - Burlap String

Mary Chapin Carpenter - The Dirt & The Stars

Always good to have MCC back... sadder and angrier than ever. 

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Asking For A Friend 

Eliza Gilkyson - 2020

I keep coming back to this track, taken from letters written by Woody Guthrie aimed at Fred Trump...

Eliza Gilkyson - Beach Haven

Lucinda Williams - Good Souls

Wait for it, I saved the bleakest for last...

Lucinda Williams - Black Train

I almost put this post to bed, and then I remembered the best of the bunch. Gretchen Peters recorded an album of songs written by Mickey (Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In) Newbury. And every one's a belter...

2 comments:

  1. Fab list of songs, some of which I know and the rest I'll be checking out. Thank you Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the other way with Courtney - prefer her earlier stuff
    Lucinda is indeed bleak but also very good

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...