Thursday 17 December 2020

My Top Twenty of 2020: #12



I just like Will Hoge. He makes interesting records, and he hates Trump. This isn't as angry (or, frankly, as good) as last year's POTUS-savaging My American Dream, but The Overthrow at least seems like a wish that finally came true...

Slow dancing with a straw man
With a match and gasoline
Darth Vader with a spray tan
And a girly magazine
Dance little monkeys
See you feasting on the crumbs
It's almost over
Hear them banging on the drums

The emptiness it shows
And I don't believe it
I don't think you know
But here comes the overthrow


Beyond that track, this is a more straightforward Americana record, with songs like Even The River Runs Out Of This Town and Midway Motel treading reassuringly familiar territory. Tiny Little Movies they may be, but they all bear repeated viewings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...