Monday 15 November 2021

Memory Mixtape #7: Pictures On My Wall


I never had band posters on my wall when I was a kid, despite belonging to the Smash Hits generation. Instead, my walls were plastered with posters from superhero comics as you'll see below... 





Actually, you'll notice that in the photo at the end, the one with the extra special Spider-Man bedspread, the walls are free of posters. That's because by then I'd started using the box room at the top of the stairs as my comics storage room, and the middle two photos are from that room. (See the back of my early teenage head in the third picture. A photographer I wasn't.)

That last photo is the most interesting to me. The stickers on my headboard (I can spot Pac Man and ET among the superheroes). The tatty furniture; yet my heart aches to look at it now. To the left, I can see the old clock radio with the red digits on the clock face. Tuned to Radio 2 on evenings, Radio 1 during the day, with a built in cassette to record the highlights of Steve Wright In The Afternoon (back when he was worth listening to). I can see my old watch on the top shelf, a little green safe with a really easy combination one shelf down, the edge of a bookshelf to the left, and I don't know what that grey green thing is on the floor...

I look at these photos now and I remember feeling safe and happy. What else can you ask of your childhood?



5 comments:

  1. Yep, I feel this. I have a number of similar photographs and you're exactly right, they make the heart ache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pics are brilliant. That wallpaper in the bottom photo - so '80s, your possessions and posters so evocative. I'm sure I remember more about my childhood bedroom than any other I've lived in since... they formed such a big part of who we were. (Perish the thought of having to share it with several siblings as one of my friends did!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really marvellous photos and memories Rol. I wish I'd had the foresight to record of my own childhood bedrooms in the same way. Much like C, they remain vivid in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photos and before reading on I was trying to work out what was on the shelves. You then explained it all. A simple radio was all we needed back then.

    That was a busy room though - Think I would have struggled to get to sleep. Classic 80s wallpaper at the headboard end.

    Lovely to look back and remember those times as being safe and happy. I’ve harked back to 1976 a lot this year for the same reason - Later life gets a lot more complicated. It’s now Sam’s turn to have the equivalent although I imagine it’ll be cars and football for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wall to wall Sweet (literally) for me; with three exceptions:
    * Suzie Quatro with the black leather suit zipped up the middle.
    * Susan Dey looking like the girl next door. (Which she didn't; not Jane Lander's fault - she was only ten and wasn't part of a hit making all-American family who lived in a bus.)
    * Lynsey de Paul. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...