Monday 8 November 2021

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #72: Grey


Going grey is a natural part of the aging process and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. There certainly won't be any Just For Men on my shopping list any time soon. I've been pretty lucky that I've kept a full head of hair, rather than losing it on top like many of my peers. I thank my mum for that - I have her hair, not my dad's... if it was his, it'd be half gone by now.

The weird thing about grey hairs is that they creep up on you in a sneaky way. I look at myself in the mirror and generally don't see any grey. Yet when I have a haircut, I always notice the grey clumps on the floor afterwards. I realised why this is the other day (no great revelation here): because it starts at the sides. Specifically, for many people, the temples. And because it's on the side of your head, you don't see that so easily when you look at your reflection straight on. So it's quite a shock when you catch a reflection side-on. 

But it's OK, because greying temples are "distinguished", they tell us. Really? Who came up with that idea? I bet he was going grey.

I content myself with the idea that, being a comics fan, I always wanted to look like Reed Richards. He is, after all, Mr. Fantastic!


 Ooberman are one of my favourite bands that nobody else gives a monkey's about. (See also The Indelicates.) As such, I like to feature them here whenever I can. Here they are singing about the colour grey...



5 comments:

  1. I have the double whammy... not much left on top, and what is left is mostly grey. So I just keep it very short, which spares me the trial of having to look in the mirror in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grey is the new black (also the new blonde in my case).
    As far as two-dimensional figures go, Mr Richards is very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still got me hair, and I'm convinced I've always had a high hairline and it's not receding.
    But my beard of 2 years has become whiter on the chin (or more correctly on two thirds of the left side).
    If this is ever pointed out, I just say it's a trick of the light - a parallax angle issue

    ReplyDelete
  4. C will corroborate this, as it’s been a topic between us of late, but women too have issues with hair as they get older and mine is currently driving me mad. Seems to now have the consistency of a baby’s, but a baby with grey at the temples. Off for a total restyle tomorrow but I fear I may come out looking like my mother, circa 1965.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...