Wednesday 17 November 2021

Grumpy Young Women: Billy Nomates


As someone who has been dubbed, and even self-applied, the moniker "Billy Nomates" at various times in his life, I was immediately interested to hear that a new punk-pop star had taken that name. Interested enough to give her debut album a try...

Imagine a Bristolian Patti Smith with a David Coverdale mullet and an old Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip cassette in her glove box, and you're halfway to imagining Billy Nomates. She shouts (because "sings" doesn't really cut it) lyrics full of breadline chic for the disenfranchised of today... and though I can't really class myself in that category, I still enjoy the grubby window into her world. 

I could have used the following song in my previous job... the closest thing you'll hear to Chip Taylor's Phoned In Dead this side of the JobCentre Plus. (And no, I'm not putting down anyone forced to frequent that particular establishment: I did my time there ten years ago, for my sins.)

One thing's for certain, Debbie: I'm not going in if Andy's working Friday.
 


2 comments:

  1. I really liked that. She sounds as of she could have come from the late 70s but somehow also fresh.

    Ironically I feel like Alyson Nomates at the moment because I don't go into work any more. Looking back at it all with rose-coloured spectacles I know, but I do miss (some) of my old workmates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose-coloured spectacles are definitely in vogue when it comes to old jobs... I can say that about my radio job, but not the one I just left. Maybe in another 20 years... but probably not.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...