Monday 20 December 2021

My Top Twenty-One of 2021: #10


10. Sam Fender - 17 Going Under

I've written previously of my conversion into the church of Sam Fender, from how I was initially suspicious of the hype and Springsteen comparisons but won over by the authenticity of his voice - both singing voice and writing voice.

Beyond that, there's not much more to say, except that after living with this album (and its excellent predecessor, Hypersonic Missiles) for a couple of months now, I'm convinced that Fender is the most authentic and exciting new voice in British guitar rock since Frank Turner.

He even managed to get Stephen Graham to play his dad in the video below... 'nuff said.



5 comments:

  1. Excellent, an authentic and exciting new voice as you say.
    Did you watch 'Geordie Genius, the Alan Hull Story' on BBC Four recently? (11 months left on iPlayer!) A great, fascinating insight into Alan and Lindisfarne in its own right, but also charmingly and honestly presented by Sam Fender, himself a big fan. Recommended if not yet seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to check that out over Christmas, C... as long as Gazza isn't on it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for highlighting this one - one I initially ignored/wrote off without hearing a note.
    Damn my prejudice! Arrived with me too late to force it's way into the selection, but would've been there had I not been a daft curmudgeon who thought he knew better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us miserable old gits have to stick together, RD...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...