Thursday 23 December 2021

My Top Twenty-One of 2021: #7


7. The Wallflowers - Exit Wounds

Last year was the first time Bob Dylan ever made one of my Best Of round-ups. This year, it's his son's turn. I've always been rather dismissive of Jakub Dylan, lumping him in with Sean Lennon and Lisa Marie Presley, but it turns out I've misjudged him. Turns out he should have been put in a category with Teddy Thompson and Lukas Nelson, stars worthy of their musical legacy, stepping out of the shadows cast by their famous folks and forging their own paths.

Exit Wounds is an excellent record, that proves Dylan Jr. has a voice all his own (and persuaded me to dig deeper into the Wallflowers back catalogue). Tunes that rock and hook, lyrics that reveal themselves over time with intriguing and witty detail. (I should really start writing these reviews at Number One and work backwards... can you tell that after having already written 15, I'm starting to run out of superlatives? At this rate, my Number One album will get "It's ace. Go buy it.")

Jakub Dylan has such a strong and distinct identity here, it's easy to never even give his dad a second thought.  



1 comment:

  1. Groovy song. Reminds me of someone but I can't remember who.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...