Friday 24 December 2021

My Top Twenty-One of 2021: #6


6. Aimee Mann - Queens of The Summer Hotel

The most recently-released album in this countdown, but Aimee is always guaranteed a place in my year end round up. I think there's some kind of concept going on here, but I haven't yet allowed myself to dig deep enough. Instead, I'm just letting this record wash over me - it feels like some kind of high society New York movie musical from 50+ years ago as scored by Burt Bacharach and Paul Simon. (Even the song where she's shooting speed in Mexico sounds sophisticated and nostalgic.)

You can click on other reviews that will give you a more in-depth explanation than that, but for me this is just classic Aimee. Lush orchestration (the album is built around piano and strings, nary a guitar in earshot), lyrics that wouldn't be out of place in a Raymond Carver or Truman Capote short story, and... of course... that voice. I will forever melt at the sound of that voice. 

I want to find out what it's all about, but I also want to just enjoy it for what it is, and savour the mystery.



2 comments:

  1. High Society movie, Bacharach and Paul Simon - My sort of music.

    Merry Christmas Rol to all of you. Guessing you're going to have a day or two off in the countdown (going by the numbers) - Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee's voice suits this so well.
    Happy Christmas to you and your family, Rol. So pleased you managed to make it out of The Bad Place this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...