Thursday 16 December 2021

My Top Twenty-One of 2021: #11


That an album of Willie Nelson singing Frank Sinatra covers (and not even the first time he's done that!) should feature so highly in my year end countdown speaks volumes about where I am right now, and how the world has treated us all.

Alyson talks of nostalgia in her latest post, defining it as:

“the pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again.”

I'm sure we've all taken refuge in a little nostalgia this year, and that may well explain why I ended up playing and streaming this album so much. The music of Frank Sinatra reminds me of both my childhood (he was always my dad's favourite) and my 20s (when I went through a big Sinatra phase around the time of his duets albums). I came to Willie much later in life, but his croaky old voice has become a great comfort in these dark times. 

Whatever gets you through the night, it's all right.


2 comments:

  1. I first discovered Willie's cover albums when looking for moon-related songs for my series. His version of Moonlight In Vermont is still one of my favourites of the series.

    I'm a bit jealous that you're picking up more on the 'pleasure' aspect of nostalgia this year as I'm still feeling more of the 'sadness'. Not looking for sympathy, just reflects where our headspace is this year. So glad the new job is going well - A massive boost for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I don't think I'd be coping very well at all if it wasn't for that.

      Hoping for a better new year for you, Alyson.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...