Wednesday 22 December 2021

My Top Twenty-One of 2021: #8


Happy birthday, Dad... 92 today. In your younger days, you had a bit of a Hamish Hawk hairstyle. I remember my sister used to tell you you looked like David Bowie. But I'm sure she only did it to wind you up, because you never liked that new-fangled pop music, did you?

Sam started defending Ed Sheeran the other day. "You only like music from the 1970s, daddy." I'm already a fossil. The doctor just gave me some ibuprofen gel for my bad leg. If I'm still here when I'm 92, I'll be a head in a jar. But your generation, dad, you were made of tougher stuff.

8. Hamish Hawk - Heavy Elevator

Another one I've written about before, and one that appears to have gone down very well with many of my friends across the blogosphere. Put Scott Walker, Jarvis Cocker, Neil Hannon and that bloke we don't like to talk about anymore* into a blender and this is the resultant smoothie... a charmingly literate lyricist with a knack for a big tune and some precision one liners. Add a sprinkle of Jot Division and garnish with a little Robert Smith. Delicious.

And this... this is the best song Morrissey* hasn't written (but wishes he did) in 25 years.

And I call out... isn't this living?



4 comments:

  1. Love this, my pick of the year. Not that I get out much these days, you understand, but even so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should've tagged this onto my rundown as well, but I tried to pick my highlights from memory and completely forgot about Hamish (and no doubt a few more too). Thanks again for the introduction Rol - it's a damn fine LP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, as is your 'blender' description.
    A very happy 92nd birthday to Rol's dad too. Love the thought of him looking like David Bowie once, but not wanting to - when so many would kill for those looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your dad - A remarkable age. I have said before that I'm sure he would have got on with my own dad well, as many parallels in their lives.

    By osmosis I start to remember all these artists that are new to me by following your blogs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...