Friday 10 June 2022

Random Friday: Carol


I was very pleased to discover that SWC, one of my old blogging heroes, has come out of retirement with a new blog. Kicking myself that it took me so long to discover this fact, but I'm over 50 now; I'm surprised I can find my teeth most days. Anyway, at the beginning of the week, SWC was waxing lyrical about a track by Swedish "death pop sextet" Agent Blå. Well, he had me at "death pop", but like SWC, I was also impressed by the song's fine use of four letter words. Because at heart, I am a 14 year old and I still think swearing is cool and grown up.

Anyway, this made me want to post the track below: Carol, by Aussie punk band The Peep Tempel. It's a bitter tale of jealousy and swearing. The "plot" is summarised below, minus the four letter words, in case you're easily offended. Nevertheless, it makes me smile whenever I hear it. 

I don't want to be so sanctimonious
I don't want to be such a negative jerk
But I'm the one who's been helpin' you through the divorce 
Carol

And I don't think Trevor is good for you
I don't think Trevor is good for you
I don't think Trevor is good for you 
Carol

Shades of "Gordon is a moron" right there.



4 comments:

  1. Ah bless you Rol...incidentally I've never met a person called Carol that I didn't like.
    Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dial down the 21st Century production values a bit and this song wouldn't have been at all out of place in the punk singles box (which you had to ask to see) at my local record shop in 1977 - i.e. it's not really punk, but is rowdy and contains gratuitous cussing....and it probably came in a picture sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a box or records so shocking they had to keep it hidden away.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...