Friday 3 June 2022

2022 Contenders / 1966 Contenders: Judy


Until recently, all I knew from Judy Collins were her 70s hits: Amazing Grace (which charted in 1970, 1971 and 1972) and Send In The Clowns (and I preferred the Streisand version). And then, within the space of a month, I heard two tracks that opened my ears...

The first track was this, from 1966, when she was but 27 years old. It's a performance that places her firmly in feisty Nancy Sinatra territory. It is a cover, but cleaner and slightly less dated than the original duet by Richard & Mimi Farina. And it makes me smile a lot more than Amazing Grace...



The second track was this, from the year 2022, written by Judy herself, now in her 83rd year and currently on tour across North America and Europe. And her voice sounds better than ever. This one makes me smile too, for very different reasons.



1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Judy Collins, especially the album "In My Life" which features some great songs including the powerful Marat/Sade from the play (pause for breath) - " The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade". Well worth a listen.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvW2v9dUjI8

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...