Thursday 9 June 2022

Soundtracks: Stranger Things


For kids like me who grew up on a healthy diet of Back To The Future, The Goonies, ET, Stephen King novels and 80s horror movies, Stranger Things has been a delight from the first episode. And that's before we even start on the soundtrack, which now has me firmly convinced there is NO 80s song that will not fill me with waves of nostalgic delight after just a few bars... I even found myself tapping my feet along to Tarzan Boy by Baltimora in a recent episode, and I never even liked that at the time. Everything sounds better given the jukebox time machine treatment (thanks, Alyson). 

Season 4 is currently in full flow on Netflix, and they've obviously allowed the creators to spend as much money as they want on the final chapters, with feature length episodes, special guest stars (Robert Englund!) and no expense spared on the licensed tunes. This has had a weird knock-on effect though... as Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill (which features prominently in the show) last week re-entered the UK Single Chart. Meaning that right now, we all own a Top Ten hit! (I mean, I seriously doubt anyone reading this blog doesn't have a copy of Running Up That Hill in their collection somewhere.) 

Truly, nostalgia can make us young again. Stranger Things has happened.

  


3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed most of Season 4 so far - except for the stoner dude with the pizza delivery van who really got on my...........nerves. Still, good to hear "Running Up That Hill", one of my favourite Kate Bush songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were obviously never a Cheech and Chong fan.

      Delete
  2. Missed this one last week but yes, great minds and all that. I defy anyone who watches Stranger Things not to get waves of nostalgia (if you are of a certain age of course). I was in my 20s in the 80s but for someone like yourself who was a teen, it must be glorious - roll on the final episodes. (Alyson)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...