Friday 23 September 2022

Positive Songs For Negative Times #78: Goodbye To Goodtimes

Not even the end of September, and already summer seems like another country.

Yes, I view the past through a rose-tinted lens of nostalgia.

Yes, there’s a lot to be positive about in the modern world… even though it seems easier to dwell on the negativity of death, disease, destruction and dunderhead politicians.

No, it won’t always be like this. There will be good times again. 

Although this guy ain’t so sure...

Kevin Morby is one of those names I keep hearing from the cognoscenti, a critic’s darling who, until now, I’ve not quite been so sure about.

That changed when I heard Goodbye To Goodtimes. It’s an exceptionally well-written and well-structured piece of songwriting, linking together themes, memories and touching lyrical details to create a whole that’s much more than the sum of its parts. One of those songs where I’m tempted not to quote just a little bit, because the little bits have more impact when you experience the full song. Having said that…

Seems the good times
Have finally come to pass
Make way for bad times
Soon to cross our path

When my father was a young man
He got Mickey Mantle's autograph
And with the Ms shaped like the moon
He would contemplate the stars
And wish the good times
Would never come to pass

When my mother was 19
She'd dance to Tina
Tina Turner
And the hallway bеcome a catwalk
And she'd go to the show
No, thеy just don't
Make 'em like that no more

Well rock me, baby
Oh, rock me, child
I miss the good times, Mama
They've gone out of style
And I don't remember
How it feels to dance
Goodbye to good times



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...