Thursday 22 September 2022

2022 Contenders: If God Was a CCTV Control Room Operator Called Steve


I was brought up Church of England. Sunday School every week, religious assemblies, a Bible by my bedside. Somewhere along the line, I fell into fence-sitting agnosticism. I can see both the positives and negatives of religious belief, and while I no longer accept the idea of a bloke with a white beard sitting on a cloud, I refuse to discount the idea of some kind of afterlife, if only because the alternative is just too bleak... and how would I account for ghosts otherwise?

I find the whole belief debate quite fascinating though, particularly the unanswerable question of How Could A Loving God Allow So Much Suffering? That's a bottomless pit which former Carter frontman Jim Bob willingly throws himself into on this epic track from his latest Beach Ready EP. Apparently Jim Bob describes ‘If God Was a CCTV Control Room Operator Called Steve’ as his favourite ever Jim Bob recording. I'm tempted to agree with him. 



3 comments:

  1. That really is brilliant... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm ... Marvellous!
    If you're going to spend 99p, then this is surely one of the finest ways to do it
    (hopefully it'll make it to physical CD one day, or maybe I'll just burn my own)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...