Tuesday 6 September 2022

Namesakes #2: The Cortinas

In last week's public vote, the choice was between 60s prog-psych-baroque-concept album chin-scratchers Nirvana and another band with the same name. And the winner was... Nirvana!

(I wonder if that joke will ever get tired. Let's see.)

(Actually, as I write this, the result is a draw. Which is a bit of a shock. Then again, only four people voted. Which is less of a shock.)

This week, we have a bunch of Cortinas. But not the one of the ones above, because they never released any records. Although my dad did drive a fair few of them in his day. It's very likely I was driven home from the hospital in a Ford Cortina, making it the first car I ever travelled in. Probably. 

THE CORTINAS #1

Let's start with this bunch, who formed in 1963 but didn't release their one solitary single until 1968. Soon after, they changed their name... to what, we'll discover next week. The band were led by Paul Griggs, who in later years would support Frank Sinatra as a member of Guys n Dolls, and also wrote 1986 Song For Europe contender I'm Sorry, sung by Chad Brown. (It's worth watching that clip, just for ten seconds of Terry.) 


THE CORTINAS #2

Next up we have some Bristol punks, active between '76 and '78. Iffypedia says, "The band developed a large and enthusiastic following in their hometown. Unfortunately, their growing popularity began to attract a great deal of crowd trouble." Bloody punks. Downfall of civilised society, etc. etc. 

This is their debut single, which Mojo says is one of the best punk singles ever. But what do Mojo know?

Just a heads up: this won't be the last we hear of these guys, as they have an excellent entry for the Celebrity Jukebox, as soon as I can get to it.


THE COURTEENERS (#3)

As discussed last week, homophones are allowed on this feature, so you'll just have to deal with that.

Not to sway the voting one way or another, but this lot are by far my favourites this week, even though their lead singer is a bit of an arse. (I've seen them live, so I can verify this firsthand.) Still, he is called Liam, and he is from the North West, so it probably goes with the territory, And he's not half as much of an arse as that other famous Liam from the North West. 

Sam loves this song, mostly for the cheeky chorus: What took you so long - was there a queue at the Post Office? (Of course there was: they're all on strike. And good on 'em, etc. etc.)


Vote now for your favourite! 



18 comments:

  1. I'll have the one from the middle please Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have the homophones please, Rol. Which, when you think about it, would be a good name for a band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Though it seems we might be the only ones voting for the modern bunch.

      Delete
  3. It's The (1970s) Cortinas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And probably unsurprisingly, I’ll go for the 1960s Cortinas.

    Alyson

    Nice to hear a few words from Terry but expected a reference to Gene Hunt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent ages while writing this post convinced that John Thaw had driven a Cortina in The Sweeney. When I discovered he hadn't, I gave up in a strop.

      Delete
  5. The Cortinas #2 - if only for the fact guitarist Nick Shappard later joined The Clash. On his CV it says he played on Cut The Crap - Bernie Rhodes hid it so far in the mix you wouldn't know.

    Favourite Cortina? Mark 2 Lotus Cortina, Mk3 2000 GXL with vinyl roof and twin headlights, or a Mark V 2.3 Ghia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be writing these posts, RD. Or at least do a series about classic cars in pop songs.

      Delete
  6. I like both songs of Cortinas 60 and 70's but always really like Fascist Dictator so going for that. Two good songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. Hope Dubai is treating you well.

      Delete
  7. After part 1 of this series, this was the band name that first came to mind for me. A hard call! But today, even if it changes tomorrow, my choice is the '60s Cortinas.
    As an aside, I have one of those recurring blind spots with the name Courteeners and always hear it in my mind pronounced as Cour-te-neers (i.e. the last two syllables rhyming with musketeers, or souvenirs). So it threw me at first when I saw them here, duh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Band names you always get wrong could be a new series...

      Delete
  8. As your resident Yank, it is funny to see such a popular Ford in your part of the world that never existed over here. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Brian, that is pretty weird. But which one gets your vote?

      Delete
    2. Going ‘60s.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...