Wednesday 21 September 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #36: Valerie Singleton


As one of the longest serving Blue Peter presenters, Valerie Singleton will be, for many of you, the face of that show. However, she moved on to more grown up TV programming in the year I was born, so I never got to see her sitting on that famous sofa with John Noakes and Peter Purves. By the time I started watching, Lesley Judd had taken her place, in preparation for her later cameo in this famous Half Man Half Biscuit tune...

They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”

Now the Krona rumour spread but they didn’t tell the bread
Did you honestly think that they would?
And if eight out of ten cats all prefer Whiskas
Do the other two prefer Lesley Judd?


But I digress. We're not here to talk about Lesley. This is Valerie's show! After all, Lesley wasn't there for Lulu the elephant, was she? Luckily, she does get her own entry in the Biscuit archives...

Precious McKenzie, boy I remember you well
Gob full of tapioca, I would sit and I’d watch you excel
Those legendary rivulets would trickle on down to your chin
But I always wondered what you did when you packed it all in

What are you doing today?
What have you done with the money?
How much did Singleton pay?
Do you think you were misunderstood?
I do.


Sadly, I can find no evidence to suggest that Steve Winwood's biggest hit was dedicated to Ms. Singleton... but we all know it must have been.


So cool, she was like
Jazz on a Summer's day
Music, high and sweet
Then she just blew away

Now she can't be that warm
With the wind in your arms

Valerie, call on me
Call on me, Valerie
I'm the same boy I used to be

It does seem unlikely that the Zutons song is about Ms. Singleton though, as their Valerie had ginger hair. (I did check.)

It is to recent Namesakes The Cortinas that we must return today then, as our Val has a very special place in their hearts...



3 comments:

  1. Valerie was from my era of presenters. I’m amused by the fact the Steve Winwood song might have been about her.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go as far as to use the word "fact"...

      Delete
  2. With their limited lyrics including “I want to beat you up” and “You really piss me off”, I assumed that 90s US noiseniks Dose couldn’t possibly have been referring to Valerie when they recorded Singleton. Unless they caught a glimpse of Blue Peter and really, really hated it…!
    https://youtu.be/5jql74SUqxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...