Monday 2 March 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #1: Better Days


There's so much negativity around these days. The government. (I mean, wherever you live, chances are you hate your government.) Workplaces that bleed our energy and kick us while we're grovelling to keep our jobs. The approaching pandemic. A hundred other things that make us question why we bother.

This blog often reflects those things.

But...

I thought I'd try something different, based on the theory of Chaos Magic. I'll let you investigate that further if you don't know anything about it, but the basics are that you can create positive change through various practices involving the use of sigils which are seen as "a symbolic representation of the magician's desired outcome."

I thought I'd try a few musical sigils to see if they have any effect. After all, if 47 really was my year of peak misery... well, I'll be 48 in just a couple of weeks time, so maybe it's time to start turning things around.

I heard this song on the radio on Saturday and despite an awful week at work, it made me feel a little better. It's from arguably the least popular time in Bruce's career, which as the song itself explains might be because he was happier than at any other time in his life...

Now a life of leisure and pirate's treasure
Don't make much for tragedy
But it's a sad man my friend who's livin' in his own skin
And can't stand the company
Every fool's got a reason for feelin' sorry for himself
And turning his heart to stone
Tonight this fool's halfway to heaven and just a mile outta hell
And I feel like I'm comin' home

...let the magic begin.



Cover Me Monday will be back as soon as I think of another worthy cover. I don't like to force them.


3 comments:

  1. Jeez, it's more than 25 years since I heard Broocie sing that live. If I remember right he did requests on that tour and I got to hear "Atlantic City" which is a top fave of mine. Better Days is one of the better songs from the Human Touch\Lucky Town time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with FurryBootsCityBoy, it's one of Bruce's better efforts from that much maligned period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything has to be worth a go when it comes to trying to create positive change, even Bruce (sorry). But Chaos Magic - well I didn't know about it but I'd written rather randomly about one of its main protagonists, the artist Austin Osman Spare, over at my place last year - perhaps it's trying to tell us something?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...