Tuesday 3 March 2020

Hot 100 #18


Only one song by one band named after the number 18 in my record collection... but it's not a bad one at all.

The Eighteenth Day of May - Casey Jones

Welcome back to the Hot 100 as we come of age - backwards - with only 17 more weeks to go before I get to have a lie down. As has become customary in recent weeks, there's a ton of songs to get through... so let's get cracking.

Let's start with Martin...

18... I imagine there must be a bucketful. Can't think of too many off the top of my head though, so will just have to go with:

The Stray Cats - 18 Miles to Memphis 

Art Brut - 18,000 Lira  

So no, I don't expect to be winning again next week...

I dunno - that second one was in serious contention.

Next up is Lynchie...

Kathy Mattea has a decent country song called: "Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses"...

Kathy Mattea - Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses

Like that.

Speaking of 18 wheels, Rigid Digit offered this beauty...

Alabama - Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)

RD also threw these into the ring...

Everyone needs a bit of hair metal once in a while:

Skid Row - 18 And Life

That's like a Silvikrin commercial.

How about electronica?

Moby -18

A bit of headbanging stuff?

Megadeth - Hangar 18

Pardon?

Over to Jim in Dubai next...

This week I am leading with: 

The Associates - 18 Carat Love Affair 

Brian seconded that. And then added a couple more of his own...

Bubblegum Splash - 18:10 to Yeovil Junction 

You do know my affection for anything on the Subway Organization label.

Yes, indeed, and while we're doing time of day songs...

Bloc Party - Waiting For The 7:18

Brian's other suggestion was one from my own shortlist...

Grandaddy - A.M. 180

Jason Lytle's first great song but nowhere near his last.

Love that how that cheesy intro cuts into the guitars.

Back to Jim, who also offered...

The Cygnet Ring - 18 Daze

I do like that.

18 Wheeler - Stay

Look - Jim found another 18 band!

Assuming... 

Momus - London 1888 

...doesn't qualify but certainly worth a mention.

Funnily enough, I did say 19th Century songs would be allowed Jim, because I had a few of my own...

Frank Black - 1826

The Pine Hill Haints - Spirit of 1812

Sparks - It Ain't 1918

The Handsome Family - Emily Shore - 1819 - 1839

Television - 1880 Or So

That is where The National got their entire at from!

Nick Nicely - Hill Fields (1892)

And that's where Damon Albarn got his from.

One more date - a day rather than a year though.

The Deep Dark Woods - 18th of December

Great video.

Alyson made it through my defences to drop these two...

Bobby Darin - Eighteen Yellow Roses 

Bryan Adams - 18 Til I Die

OK, before we get to this week's head to head, here's a few more from my hard-drive of horror...

5 Seconds Of Summer - 18

Nils Lofgren - 60 Is The New 18

Think that probably featured in week 60. Here's another one from Nils, from back when he was closer to 18...

Grin - 18-faced Lover

Client - Diary of an 18 Year Old Boy

Reverend & The Makers - 18-30

Theaudience - Now That You Are 18

Roy Orbison - Almost Eighteen

Consider that an uncomfortable taster of the next couple of weeks.

And finally, a top track from last year's long-awaited reunion album...

The Hold Steady - Star 18

All of which leaves us with two choices for this week.

In the red corner, here's Charity Chic...

I'm eighteen with a bullet
Got my finger on the trigger, 
I'm gonna pull it

And Lynchie...

Fascinating facts about Pete Wingfield (I bought "18 With A Bullet" in 1975 - fantastically fun lyrics):

He produced Searching for the Young Soul Rebels the first album by Dexys Midnight Runners - and also produced The Proclaimers "Sunshine on Leith".

He's played keyboards for Van Morrison, The Everly Brothers, The Housemartins and many more.

Sadly however, he did play piano for The Alan Parsons Project, but nobody's perfect.


In the blue corner, here's... erm... Lynchie...

...and then there's the great Alice Cooper song: "I'm Eighteen".

And C...

I definitely second FBCB's suggestion of Alice Cooper's 'I'm Eighteen'.
A few years ago Mr SDS did his best Alice Cooper impression at a fancy dress party (it was so hot his eyeliner ran and the great thing was that it didn't matter...) Somewhere out there now there's a priceless photo of Alice, Slash and Ozzy together in a scout hut in Essex.



And this week's winner...?

Well, it's obvious really, isn't it?

Well done, Lynchie.

Next week - 17. Off the top of my head, there can be only one winner. You may seek to persuade me otherwise...



12 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed last week. Here's what I've got for today:

    'Seventeen' - Sex Pistols
    'Seventeen' - Sharon Van Etten
    'Two Thousand and Seventeen' - Four Tet (probably excluded under the new rules come to think of it)
    'At Seventeen' - Janis Ian
    'Only Seventeen' - The Beatle-Ettes
    'Seventeen Landscapes' - Heron Oblivion

    ReplyDelete
  2. A right old mixed bag for you this week...

    7-Teen by The Regents

    17 by Stephen Duffy

    You Broke My Heart In 17 Places by Tracey Ullman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the Swede these 2 for me (as recently blogged at bagging Area).

    Seventeen' - Sex Pistols
    'Seventeen' - Sharon Van Etten

    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stellar start by the fellas above. I have to admit Tracey Ullman was my first thought. Going with the hits today. Two weeks in a row for Stray Cats... (She's) Sexy + 17 and Stevie Nicks with Edge of Seventeen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But my vote goes to the Beattle-Ettes. Fabulous. Way to go, Swede.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pistols is the obvious one for me but also The Regents sprung to mind. For one not already mentioned I'll also offer up Ladytron. They all have the same title of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't believe I nearly forgot 'When I Was Seventeen' by Saint Etienne from the wonderful 'Words And Music', such a great album.
      "When I was seventeen
      My heart and head was full of brilliant dreams
      Assembled in the light of the day
      That seems so far away, away
      Space and light and dreams
      That's all people need and a place to sleep
      The music and the songs that you play
      Sound so far away, away"

      Delete
  7. Some great choices already picked, 7Teen Regents and Stray Cats, here's what's i'm left with.

    Complete History of Sexual Jealousy (Parts 17-24) Momus (Already used 7 weeks ago i believe).
    17 Reason Why I Love You - My Life Story (Extended version of 12 Reasons.....)
    Seventeen Hours - BIS

    Band Names:
    Seventeen - Bank Holiday Weekend
    Heaven 17 - (Lets go for) - Let Me Go.
    Was going to say East 17 - Deep, but i won't :-)


    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of mine gone again (my first vote is for Sex Pistols - Seventeen. The Regents in second place)

    So what have I got left on me list?

    17 Again - Eurythmics
    17 - Jet
    What A Nice Way To Turn 17 - The Crystals

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to back The Swede's choice of Janis Ian's "At Seventeen"

    (If you get the chance, check out Tina Fey's karaoke cover of the song in an episode of "30 Rock". Here it is - all 20 seconds of it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIaBrH_uVQg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not even going to suggest anything other than the Janis Ian song as won't be bettered. I wrote about it last year at my place so hope you don't mind if I share an extract:


    The song was a big hit for Janis in the US in 1975, and although it never appeared in the UK charts, it soon became a staple of the airwaves. The song is about a girl who is somewhat of a social outcast in high school, and so it became a kind of anthem. She was inspired to write the single after reading a newspaper article about a young woman who believed her life would improve after a debutante ball, and her subsequent disappointment when it did not.

    All these years later nothing has changed, and with social media to muddy the waters, if anything, things have got worse. I remember the year my daughter and her friends turned 17 and were experiencing the kind of anxieties as recounted in the song. I got them to listen to this song, as I think it summed up how they were feeling. Many nights were spent bemoaning the fact they were not one of The Populars, that group of girls with “clear skinned smiles” who always seem to get the boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was struggling to get through your defences again with this comment - Seems that if you include inverted commas, the comment fails. Will have to remember that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...