Thursday 12 March 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #2: Better Day


I've been a little under the weather this week, hence the reduced service. Not the coronavirus (yet!), but I pulled my back over the weekend (long-term problem) and spent most of Monday in agony. Not ideal for the day I had both my appraisal and annual graded teaching observation... you can imagine how well they went.

Still, I continue to try and look on the bright side (and conjure up a little chaos magic) with the second song in this series - one letter short of the tune that kicked us off last week.

Ocean Colour Scene are a much-maligned band, but for me they had a couple of albums that capture a very specific time in my life and remind me very much of better days. This is one of those songs that just takes me back... I could almost write you a Memory Mixtape post about it (I haven't forgotten that feature... I just need a little more free time than I have right now to devote the right amount of energy to them... and as you can imagine, The Hot 100 is taking up most of my blogging time at the moment). Anyway, I hope it brings back happy memories for you too. If not... play something that does when you get home tonight. You deserve it.



    

10 comments:

  1. I, too, have a lot of time for OCS. Their first album came along at a time in my life when I honestly thought anything was possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fools we were when we were young...

      Delete
  2. I feel your (back) pain. It's bloody miserable isn't it? Yoga helps me immensely, though I know it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Swede. Seems to have cleared up again for the time being. I did do a spot of yoga once and found it quite rewarding - just not got the time or self-discipline to do it on a regular basis.

      Delete
  3. Like a bit of OCS,although I stopped at their fifth album (Mechanical Wonder) - no idea why, I may go back to investigate the later stuff
    (hello YouTube).

    They also did that trick of hiding away one of their best songs as a B-Side - Huckleberry Grove

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the back pain and the results of your appraisal, Rol. What is it about OCS? I liked them at the very start. Did they suffer from U2itis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd thank you not to use foul language on this blog, C. OCS may be guilty of many things, but that comparison is a little strong. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your back problem. I think you know I’ve been complaining about such things since taking on the holiday house last year - Must find the time for yoga as it’s definitely helped Mr WIAA.

    Quite partial to a bit of OCS too and love C’s description for that malady that many are afflicted by - U2itis. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyson! Otherwise known as Bonovirus 1, your ears start to rattle and hum and you get vertigo... (sorry)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...