Friday 6 March 2020

Random Play: Listen To That Intro!


Can't Buy A Thrill must surely be in the Top Ten Greatest Debut Albums ever alongside Rattlesnakes, Bat Out Of Hell, and Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I'll let you debate the other six amongst yourselves.

If you also wanted to argue that the opening track of Side 2 contains one of the Top Ten Guitar Intros of all time... well, who would I be to argue with that? I'm never quite sure why they didn't open the album with it, rather than Side 2. I mean, Do It Again is a fine song, but it doesn't have the instant, hairs-on-the-back-of-your-neck-standing-to-attention excitement of Reelin' In The Years.

Can't Buy A Thrill? Course you can. It's only 5.99 on Amazon. Though I'm sure you own a copy already. Be daft not to...

You been tellin' me you're a genius
Since you were seventeen
In all the time I've known you
I still don't know what you mean
The weekend at the college
Didn't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand




10 comments:





  1. Can't argue with Can't Buy A Thrill, Rol. I've been a fan of The Dan since the start. One of the best bands ever.


    Ian Dury, talking about Steely Dan's album Aja": It lifts your heart up ... it's the most consistently upful,". I think the same can be said of "Reelin' In The Years".

    The final track on Can't Buy A Thrill - "Turn That Heartbeat Over Again" is one of those Steely Dan songs which has weird lyrics that you won't find in any other pop\rock\whatever songs, but it manages to be uplifting. Almost all of Steely Dan's songs lift me up and make me feel good - even if they make me sad. (If that makes any sense?)

    Listen to a song like "Peg" from Aja and it's joyous. It's similar in content to "Reelin In The Years" but it's as if you've grown up and moved along from Can't Buy A Thrill.

    Hell - everyone should just buy their first 6 albums and Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" and the two live albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Excellent intro.

    And is it just me that listens to that opening verse and thinks it sounds like Phil Lynott? (Or do I need to buy better headphones?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin - There are folk who say that "Reelin In The Years" influenced Thin Lizzy tracks like "The Boys Are Back In Town".

      Delete
  3. Meatloaf. Steinman; make your mind up, man.

    I'm joking, I'm joking. But, Meatloaf...?

    I'll get my coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also: Michael McDonald is OK, but Meat Loaf is verboten? How does that work?

      Delete
  4. Very much from my era so yes I have this album - Excellent. Revisited their music when Walter Becker died and realised, as ever, I'd really not listened to the lyrics properly first time around. Never too late though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess sometimes I just can't separate the art from the artist.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...