Wednesday 6 October 2021

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #69: Platinum


Today is my Mum and Dad's 70th Wedding Anniversary. I imagine they'll spend it bickering in much the same way as they've spent the past seven decades.

They were married before the first UK singles chart was even released (that came a year later), and were of the generation before pop music. My dad never got much further than Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra, but my mum did develop a soft spot for Elvis. Well, she cried the day he died.

What do you buy to celebrate 70 years of marriage? The best I could come up with was flowers. They're hoping for another telegram from the Queen, to match the one that arrived for their Diamond Wedding.

When I was a kid, my dad was made redundant, which put a lot of pressure on our family and led to quite a few heated arguments at home. This upset me quite a lot, and I remember my dad saw this one day while we were out in the field, moving the cows. He asked me what was wrong and I told him I was worried he and mum would get divorced.

I'll never forget what he said to me that day: how on the day he married my mum, he made a promise to her father to look after her for the rest of her life. My granddad had long since passed away - I never even knew him - but that promise was one my dad would never break. 

 Happy anniversary, mum and dad. I love you both very much.



4 comments:

  1. Excellent. Very many congrats to you folks. I like your dad's answer about the promise he made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, warm congrats to your Mum and Dad, that's quite something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes to your Mum and Dad on their 70th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s quite a story and quite a landmark anniversary. Best wishes to a remarkable mum and dad.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...