Monday 11 October 2021

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #70: I Keep Losing My Glasses


I haven't started wearing glasses yet, though I have noticed that the small print is getting harder to decipher. Louise, on the other hand, has worn them for a couple of years now, and there's nothing more likely to get her in a rage (apart from me, obviously) than not being able to find her glasses when she needs them.

This is seemingly a big problem for another famous Grumpy Old Man of the Americana world, James McMurtry, who makes his own lost glasses into the chorus of one of the stand out tracks from his latest album, The Horses & The Hounds.

I've been an admirer of McMurtry's for some time, but I do think his latest record may be the best thing he's ever done. So many good tracks, great lyrics, just really strong storytelling throughout. I may well return to it, because the track below isn't even the best song on the album... it just seemed an ideal pick for a Mid-Life Crisis tune...




3 comments:

  1. Quite a change from "Levelland"!!! Fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that.
    That's one reason I quite like having to wear my specs permanently now (quite apart from not being able to see). I started off with just reading glasses and also kept losing them, even when they were just perched on top of my head the whole time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty good is that album - and that from a (general) denier of Americana
    (I admit it, I just don't get it as much as others do - not sure why?)

    First heard the James McMurty track See The Elephant (from 2005s Childish Things) - that was a good album too. but I much prefer this one.
    Destined for the lower reaches of my (oh so predictable) Year End List

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...