Friday 25 February 2022

The United Kingdom of Song #40: Caledonia


Not a single location today, but the whole of Scotland... or Caledonia, as the Roman Empire referred to it, and those with a romantic soul might still know it today. Written by Dougie MacLean, the version I know best is the one by Frankie Miller, originally recorded for a Tennent's advert. 

As an Englishman, I have very little national pride, and if a similar song were written about my own home country, I doubt I'd feel the same... but Caledonia makes me feel patriotic for a country that isn't even mine. Does that make sense? I'm not sure it does to me...



2 comments:

  1. You have so many Scottish visitors to your blog, I think we’d be happy to adopt you as an honorary Scot. Hope to see you up here some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyson. I hope to have the opportunity.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...